Europe's social services systems are imploding

still think free healthcare, 1 year maternity leave and cradle to grave welfare is the way to go?
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/23/world/europe/23europe.html

"But all over Europe governments with big budgets, falling tax revenues and aging populations are experiencing climbing deficits, with more bad news ahead.

With low growth, low birthrates and longer life expectancies, Europe can no longer afford its comfortable lifestyle, at least not without a period of austerity and significant changes. "

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:30 PM on May. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:30 PM on May. 22, 2010

• And we just don't learn here in the US from the mistakes of others. It is coming.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:33 PM on May. 22, 2010

• It cant work. I dont understand why ANYONE thinks it WOULD. It's so very basic. The money has to come from somewhere, and like with all social programs, eventually thoes that take on all the financial responsibility WILL buckle or disappear. Health care REFORM is what we SO needed and now we wont get it. Obama and the current lot in power are so busy patting each other on the back for their "win" that no one is addressing the COST problem that is STILL there!!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:49 PM on May. 22, 2010

• lol *those
    momof030404

• No one who is for a National Healthcare System has ever said its easy and without its problems. It can work, it has worked. When financial problems occur things are going to suffer, its not unexpected and I am willing to bet if you asked anyone from those countries if they think that the NHS should be dumped in light of these problems they'd say NO. Our public schools are suffering because of the economy. Should we give up and close down all public schools?
    AutumnLybbie

Answer by AutumnLybbie at 4:17 PM on May. 22, 2010

• It can work, it has worked.

Thanks for proving you didn't bother to read the article.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:33 PM on May. 22, 2010

• No one who is for a National Healthcare System has ever said its easy and without its problems. It can work, it has worked. When financial problems occur things are going to suffer, its not unexpected and I am willing to bet if you asked anyone from those countries if they think that the NHS should be dumped in light of these problems they'd say NO. Our public schools are suffering because of the economy. Should we give up and close down all public schools.

Europe is FALLING APART because of these types of entitlement programs. I guess you would have us be next.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:53 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Birth rates are falling because couples cannot afford to have children, even with paid maternity leave. Why can't they afford children? Because of super-high taxes. Without those new children paying into to system, the population ages. But you have super-generous retirement benefits to pay for. So increased pressure is put on the young and middle-aged working people to come up with the taxes to pay for those benefits.

It's a dangerous spiral.

In order to encourage more people to have children, they offer longer paid maternity leaves and free daycare. But someone has to pay for those benefits with higher taxes. But with high taxes and great retirement benefits, there isn't any reason for people to delay retirement. So the people in the middle pay more and more. But that group is slowly proportionally shrinking.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:16 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Our current system. I pay hundreds of dollars a month to a private insurance company as well as millions of other people. CEOS of these companies are making millions and millions off this. Even when the economy is great , if I get sick the insurance company can refuse to cover me, drop me, all sorts of things on a whim, and their ain't a damn thing I can do about it. Even though I've paid hundreds of dollars in premiums for years and years and hardly used the insurance at all. I could be faced with two choices, die or send my family into serious debt, bankruptcy even. Meanwhile the CEOs are still making millions and millions. Businesses would save a huge bundle of money if they didn't offer health insurance. If we had a NHS, they could afford to hire more people! I'm sorry the only people I see any upside for our current system are the CEOs of these insurance companies. And its profitable for them to not cover me.
    AutumnLybbie

Answer by AutumnLybbie at 5:35 PM on May. 22, 2010

• lest we forget about all of the people that work for insurance companies that don't make millions of dollars? how about the part of the article that states that some of the French get two months salary as a bonus. Why? What did they do to deserve an extra stipend? If their system is to survive and be sustainable, how can they make these sort of negligent decisions to just throw money at the people? And those CEO that you are complaining about, they get sick too. While most of them will have the money to pay for treatments out of pocket, they still have to pay. Is this really about wanting a national health service, or is it more about you not making the sort of money some of these CEO's do? You sound more jelous than concerned.

Anonymous