I guess they think anyone can become a midwife...

The few doctors I have seen on the side this pregnancy for minor things amaze me. When they ask who my regular O.B. is and I tell them I'm being seen by a midwife, they literally jump back as if my craziness is catching. Their eyes bulge from their heads. I don't think they could seem any more shocked if I told them that I had just landed from Mars...and that the child I'm carrying will someday invade their planet. Then after a moment, they begin asking me all sorts of questions. How does she handle your care? Oh, a midwife knows how to do THAT??? Wow. Does she really?

Seriously? I find that funny that they apparently think midwives are just any ole' person with no training. Like I could wake up tomorrow and say "I think I'll become a midwife today!" When most midwives are required to receive nearly as many years of training as a doctor! I wish more people knew these things. We could all understand each other better.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on May. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• This sounds more like a journal entry not a post for the Answers forum
    Anonymous

• I prefer midwives personally, and they definitly need a lot of training, I looked into it for about a minute before I decided I wasnt willing to put in that much time to become one. During my last birth from a midwife at the hostpital she had a doctor that was learning from her so that she could learn the bedside manner, and the more natural things that she didnt learn in med school. I thought that was really cool, she would probably be a doctor that I would be happy to have.
    Anonymous

• ~OP...okay...then I'm interested...when someone tells you they saw a midwife for prenatal care...what do you automatically assume? If doctors assume they have no clue what they are doing, do other mother's assume that as well. Do you think that's why there seems to be such a stigma against home births and midwife attended births in general?
    Anonymous

• I automatically assume that the midwife was too lazy to finish medical school, or maybe she couldn't get in. I had a midwife for my first because I had to and the stupid bitch never even showed up to my very traumatic delivery. Thank God there was an on call DOCTOR nearby. With my second, I had a doctor. I had an old, wrinkled, experienced doctor.

I realize not every midwife is like this, but that is my experience.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:30 PM on May. 22, 2010

• at my doctors office there was a midwife that actually was part of their office. i thought it was pretty cool. she ofcourse had alot of time. more then the doctors. she actually didn't deliver but previously when i was researching on the internet i read alot of moms using midwives and it intrigued me. i mean they use to always use them way back when. so i don't think they have less experience then doctors. actually i think most of them are nurses right? in my opinion anyone in the healthcare field has to go through so much training. i think alot of doctors are threatred by going back to the old ways.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 3:38 PM on May. 22, 2010

• I think, "Oh good! They're going to have good prenatal care, a decent birth, & not a forced c-section for no good reason!!"

To answer your second question, yes. I think that most mainstream medical care providers don't have a clue what midwives can do. Most doctors, nurses, & coworkers (I'm a medic) I have run across act like midwives have a lower standard of care for some reason... But when I press for why they think that, they either can't answer or provide inaccurate information.
    When I had my DD, I told my mom (RN) that I was going to have her in a birthing center with midwives, and she said, "But why do you want to put your life & your baby's life in the hands of uneducated people?" She had NO clue that there was such a thing as a nurse midwife, or that midwives went through any training at all! But she met my midwives & now advises people to go to and/or get second opinions from midwives :)
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 3:38 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Sorry but NO ONE without a wall full of diplomas and years and years of student loans is going to be responsible for the life of my child. You can become a certified mid wife by taking a few courses and getting the certificate, not qualified enough to handle the job IMO!
    Anonymous

• ~OP~ That's the thing...midwives have to do more than "take a few courses", they actually generally attend schooling and training for an average of seven years before they are allowed to practice. And those are non-nurses in many cases. Most people also don't know that the United States is actually way down on the list for safe birthing practices (number 32 among industrialized nations)...the countries who rank the highest primarily use midwives. Japan, number three on the list as of 2006, has about 250 midwives for every one OB. I've also heard from a midwife in training that in our area you get ONE chance to pass the final exams after the training, classes, and apprenticeship...and if you fail you just fail... you don't get to do it again.
    Anonymous

• i think most medical doctors have a hard time understanding alternative medicine or natural healthcare. it is funny that one poster would rather have someone with a wall of diplomas...i would rather have someone with years and years of hands on experience! midwives (not certified nursing midwives) have to log so much hands on time...so many ob's can't even discern between the head and the bum of a baby anymore.
    i didn't know that about not being able to repeat the final exams either...doctors and lawyers and cpa's can retake those tests as often as they want to!
    i am a huge fan of natural birth with a midwife!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:54 PM on May. 22, 2010

• My first child was delivered by a midwife. She was great. She was much more comfortable to be around, she seemed more caring. She took more time with me, and didn't make me feel like I was wasting her time. Anyone can go to school and take the exams. You don't know how many times they took the exams, or how well they did on the exams. They could have graduated at the bare bottom of their class, but have that wall full of diplomas. But, if that makes you feel all warm inside, ok. Just because they didn't become doctors doesn't mean they are lazy.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 5:52 PM on May. 22, 2010