Pacifiers?

My three month old son will not take to a pacifier, but sometimes he just needs to suck. My MIL suggested feeding him water, but I'm afraid of water toxication. So that's a no go. Sooo, any suggestions? Are there any pacifiers out there that you have had luck with? Sometimes he sucks on his fist, but I don't think he remembers his fists are there, lol. TIA!

ETA-we have tried the NUK and this style:

http://www.amazon.com/Sassy-Mini-Trends-Silicone-Pacifier/dp/B00211NRF6

MrsDex

Asked by MrsDex at 3:10 PM on May. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let him use your breasts, fingers, teethers, or rattles. Even if you aren't breastfeeding you can let your baby suckle.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:32 PM on May. 22, 2010

• He is to young for water. He will start to remember his fists.
    mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 3:21 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Gailll- Awesome. I didn't think of that. Thanks : )
    MrsDex

Answer by MrsDex at 3:36 PM on May. 22, 2010

• My son was breastfed and the lactation consultant suggested (and we used) a Soothie. He liked it and it worked. My 2nd was a finger sucker, and my 3rd wouldn't take a pacifier or her fingers - they're all different!

Answer by missanc at 3:38 PM on May. 22, 2010

• My daughter was the same way! She is now 7 months and still no pacifier! Trust me, I tried them all! I did turn to other things that she could suck on, but she preferred her fist. So I think if your baby finds the need to suck on something, he will remember his fist sooner or later. Only downside to that is it might start rubbing raw. My daughters did. Someone I know suggested the natural teething tablets and it really made a difference! Apparently they go through an uncomfortable gum stage months before you actually see any teeth. So thats something to try! Good luck!
    mariaH_902

Answer by mariaH_902 at 3:40 PM on May. 22, 2010

• My LC and a speech therapist we talked with one day both said the soothies are best. My DS will only take a paci every now and then but that is what we use.
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 4:18 PM on May. 22, 2010

• I was never able to get my son to take a paci. He will suck his thumb if he wants to suck on something but never a paci. The little one will figure it out so dont worry about it.
    Anonymous

• MAM and Soothie pacifiers worked the best for my babies!
    RobinE8

Answer by RobinE8 at 12:37 AM on May. 23, 2010