random food sneaking

OK my child is 4, normal BMI, weight at last wellness check was 37.5 pounds. Takes a "lil dragons" karate class weekly and swims at the ymca often. We do not keep junk in the house, period. I've had some problems w/ him sneaking random food in the past so we've tried to remember to clear the tables and counters right away. I started slacking off again though and last night found him guzzling from a bottle of expensive organic honey and we had a big talk about it. Then just this morning a bunch of banana's were destroyed while I got the mail. He cannot peel them so he stuck his fingers in the seems getting out as much fruit as he could, destroying them in the process. WTF? We're a 2 parent family, active, loving, close, etc. Is this an easting disorder? WTF? We let the kids eat til they're full, high protein 3 meals 1 snack daily.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on May. 22, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Try putting in 2 more snacks a day and see if it stops, he may be getting enough when he eats but not enough for the day.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 5:18 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Chances are he's just hungry. Little kids burn tons of energy, and they have to make up for it somehow. Instead of only allowing one snack, maybe you can leave some easy to eat fruits or veggies in a bowl for him when he feels snacky? Or you can make him a trail mix sort of thing to snack on with granola and dried fruits and such to snack on during the day.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:53 PM on May. 22, 2010

• I always let my DD eat all she wants. She is a little piggy, but she is also a skinny binny. Kids get real hungry when they are growing, what if he is actually staving for nutriens because he is growing so rapidly, this is super normal. Write down how many calories he can eat in a day & ask yo Dr. if this is normal for his age/weight. If he is eating healthy things like banana's, i really don't see what the big deal is. I always encourage my child to eat as many fruits & veggies as she can. If you said he was eating chips & candy, that would be different. Eat all the banana's you want i say.....

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:13 PM on May. 22, 2010

• I agree with the others...the three meal a day rule is adequate for adults who are done growing, but sometimes children just NEED more...especially when they're approaching a growth spurt. If I'm not mistaken, a kid will grow a LOT between 4 and 5 years of age. The fact that he does this sporadically makes me really think this is the case. Good luck!
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 9:04 PM on May. 23, 2010