christians i have a weird garden of eden question...

I know this might sound like a weird question to ask and I guess that this question might be aimed at the chrstians who take their bible literally. but does the christian bible ever say what type of snake the snake/serpent was supposted to be in your garden of Eden story? or what type of snake the christian devil possessed/used?

I have read somewere that some people think it was an asp & others think it was an adder snake. I have also heard that it was More like a lizard but God cursed it & took its legs away as part of His judgement I think some bible passage says something like "upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life." or something. Another weird thing I have read somewere was that some people who believe in Lilith think the snake/serpent was really Lilith coming back to the garden in the desgise of a snake so she could tempt Eve.

again sorry if this is a really weird question

flower_angel

Asked by flower_angel at 5:06 PM on May. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, I'm not Christian, but there is no "type" of snake listed in the bible. It's just a "Serpent." I think most of what is speculated about type comes from where people believe the garden was placed on earth. Since most believe it was somewhere in North Africa or Southern Middle East it would stand to reason that the serpent spoken of would be a snake indigenous to that area of the world...

However, for all the reading I have done on the Lilith myths, I have never read that she was the serpent, although that is a nice all be it, revengeful, turn to the story.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:56 PM on May. 22, 2010

• My Pastor has taught that the serpent from the garden of Eden was a Lizard with arms and legs, highly intelligent above all the other animals , walked up right and talked.. that is how it could talk to Eve.. this serpent allow itself to be physically possessed by Satan. once the serpent was cursed it became a common snake that slithered on its belly and ate dust , also losing the ability to speak and reason.

Anonymous

•  the serpent from the garden of Eden was a Lizard with arms and legs, highly intelligent above all the other animals , walked up right and talked..    He's baaaccckkkk!!!

Anonymous

• HaHa...

Now you can save 15% on your soul insurance by switching to Satanco! lol

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:36 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Interesting; I've never heard about a lizard before. I have heard as the OP stated either an asp or adder snake.

As for Lilith; no; it specifically says the serpent is the devil; which is not Lilith; in fact most Christians aren't even aware Lilith existed let alone was Adam's first wife.
    Anonymous

• Now you can save 15% on your soul insurance by switching to Satanco! lol

lol!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I believe it was a an ancient dragon type animal. Not the mystical type, but an ancestor of dragons today.
    Anonymous

• Mabye it wasnt a snake at all, but rather a type of symbolism, as such used in other ancient cultures...
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 10:40 AM on May. 24, 2010