Renting An Apartment On Bad Credit!

DH and I are relocating for work (in the military so we have no choice but to move). Base housing is on a waiting list so we are being forced to rent an apartment. Both DH and I have a credit score around 560....VERY BAD!!! DH went around to look at apartments and they want a $60 app fee and couldn't tell us if there is any chance we'll be approved or not. Does anyone know how bad a 560 credit score will affect us at getting an apartment? We have about $2600 a month income, no pets and one child.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:09 PM on May. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• You say this and nothing more:

Our credit is ugly. We'll pass your references and criminals just fine though. Can we work out an addition to the deposit if you don't like our scores?

If they say no.... you move along and don't waste your application fee's

U have a child.... seriously do NOT settle for lousy housing.
    Actually I'd advise trying to avoid apartments PERIOD.... seek out a rental HOUSE. Not only do you get privacy, a yard, etc etc but since it's owned by a single human being and not a heartless corporation, they'll have compassion and understanding for u
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:48 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Hope you have been saving for your PCS move. The only thing you can do is aply and wait to see if it goes threw. Theis is why you should keep your credit good. You never know when you need it.
    My DH is retired Army, Been out 3 years. So I know what you are going threw. PCSing and all. Where are you going? I might have been there before.

Answer by louise2 at 5:15 PM on May. 22, 2010

• it should not be to dificult. you just may not get a great apartment.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:16 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Camp Lejeune. Yes we have over $15,000 saved to move so no that is not the problem.
    Anonymous

• Go to an apartment finders. they will run your credit, then call around to different (credit friendly) apartments. We had to go this route because our credit isn't the greatest, and we lived with hubbys parents for a year and a half. She got us into an affordable apt. in a good area. Worth a try.....
    Anonymous

• Nope never have been there, sorry.

Answer by louise2 at 5:26 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Apt credit isn't the same as actual credit score credit. They are just looking for bad check history or eviction history. They seldom turn down military bc they know the military will make sure you pay the rent.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:46 PM on May. 22, 2010

• that's the Jacksonville area?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:53 PM on May. 22, 2010

• you need to look at craigslists.... since the housing market is such a mess loads of people are renting their homes. I am just giving an example here.... you get a LOT of house at a decent price and no mention of credit checks, etc and since it's privately owned, they negotiate all the terms, such as dogs. http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/apa/1754013817.html
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:55 PM on May. 22, 2010

• OP - hibbingmom, yep, Jacksonville area. I would have posted without the anonymous but I put too much of my info to say who I am publicly! We are working with Century 21 for a rental but I am nervous about them turning us down too. We have no other problems except for the bad credit from being stupid 18 and 19 year olds! All our bad strikes are from at least a year ago.
    Anonymous