Is there any one dealing with a newborn who has reflux?

Were taking our 5 week old daughter to a specialist tue. because its to the point where she just cant eat half the time and when she does she spits up half of it. We have already tried the zantex and raised the dosage twice and nothing has worked. Its hard because when I nurse her 7 times out of 10 she just balls but you can tell shes hungry and really wants to eat. I will not leave that office tue. untill we get answers cause this is getting way out of controll. Is any one even slightly dealing with what I am, if so whats your story? I could use all the advice I can get. I dont eat spicy foods nor drink caffien.

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 5:19 PM on May. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• are your breasts very full when she eats? sometimes let down can be so fast it is hard for the baby to handle. have you tried cutting dairy out of your diet? there are positions that can ease the problem for some babies too. personally, i think medications should be a last resort...i know it can be very hard, we feel so helpless as moms, when our babies are hurting...it is just that infants livers are not even fully functioning yet, and to medicate at such a young age is very scary.
    you can check out infantrefluxdisease.com for other ideas.
    good luck mama!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:27 PM on May. 22, 2010

• PP has good advice. I just wanted to tell you that you are not alone, by any means. I'm a nurse in a daycare, and 3 out of 8 of our infants have reflux.
    Is you daughter gaining weight maybe not as fast as you'd like, but gaining? In my experience, the only thing the GI docs do around here is tell you to keep her upright for at least 30 minutes after feeds, and try other meds. I don't know at what point they would do any kind of testing. Good luck and HUGS to you!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:30 PM on May. 22, 2010

• My older son (now 8) had the absolute WORST case of reflux as an infant! It got to the point where I was afraid to take him anywhere because I was afraid he would vomit--even HOURS after eating and being well burped! And when we DID take him places, we ALWAYS had to have lots of towels, wipes, and blankets to spread out on the floor of other people's homes, because he would invariably vomit.

It wasn't until he started eating more table food (not baby food), but things like bananas, crackers, dry cereal, chicken, etc. that he started to control his reflux, and FINALLY when he started walking, it completely stopped--almost overnight!

We supplemented with soy formula when I was breastfeeding, and started him on rice cereal at 4 months--which I think helped some. We didn't use any medications to control his reflux. We just fed him smaller portions, and sat him upright more and put him in the exersaucer to help with digestion.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:32 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Both my daughters went through this ( still are ). My eldest however had such severe reflux that she eventually needed to have a Nissen Fundoplication surgery to correct it. She never held down anything from her bottle, we had to put rice cereal in them since she was 1 month old to thicken it up because she got severely malnourished. We were in and out of hospitals due to this. When she was 10 months old she developed gastric ulcers and started vomiting blood on a daily basis, which then in turn ruined her teeth and we had to have them extracted. She has been living with Esphogitis (sp?) as well for the past 3 1/2 years. We have been seeing her GI since she was an infant and my daughter has a SEVERE case of reflux. She also needed to have a feeding tube (it didn't help however since she would still vomit her feedings). If you need to ever talk you can PM me. I have been dealing with this now for over 4 years! Good luck *HUGS*
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 5:42 PM on May. 22, 2010

• My grandson had pyloric stynosis and had to have surgery at 1 month

Answer by admckenzie at 5:44 PM on May. 22, 2010

• My son had reflux. I don't even remember the throwing up as much as I remember the screaming through each bottle and the not sleeping and more of the screaming. I kept telling people he had reflux (thank you google) and no one would listen. They thought I googled too much and that he was just a fussy eating. My husband was pissed when I told my doctor and we scheduled an x-ray. Sure enough they found out he had reflux.

They put him on the zantac (well the raninidine which is close and spelled wrong). .5ml twice a day. He was also on Reglan 4 times a day 20min before the bottle. Reglan has been in the news for not being good for you, but I don't remember why. This stuff helps to keep food down and is often given to cancer patients. He was off all meds by 5is months and doing great. It was almost an overnight change after the medication.

Also he slept in his car seat to keep upright after bottles.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 5:44 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Oh yes, she has been on Zantac, Ompeprazole, Prevacid and a few others. But the only one that kinda controls it is the Prevacid. The reason why we had to do the surgery was due to her last PH study (they did a bravo placement). The results were horrifying. She was refluxing an average of 160 times per day, with the longest episode lasting 30 minutes!! I never even knew she was in any pain because she was so used to the pain she didn't know any better. Broke my heart to hear how bad it truly was. I am sure that your GI will be wonderful and not overlook anything, just be patient as hard as that is. These things due take sometime to get under control.
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 5:46 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Holy cow Ali! I didn't know it could get that bad. I'm never complaining about my son's reflux again!
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 5:47 PM on May. 22, 2010

• all of my sons had/have reflux. my 8 month old is the only one that took to the breast. the suggestion I was given was to feed him upright. lay her vertical on your chest vs horizontal. this has helped immensely! burp very frequently. have lots of burp cloths with you.

stay calm. she will pick up on your emotions.
    tabbykat6802

Answer by tabbykat6802 at 6:56 PM on May. 22, 2010

• My DD just turned 1 and has had refulx horribly up until about a month ago. She is formula fed. Her doctor perscribed her Zantac, which doesnt stop her from refluxing, but takes the burn away when she does. She usually refluxes through her nose.
    I understand what your going through, its horrifying!!! The one thing that reeeeally helped was switching to "Similac Alimentum". Within 24 hours she was refluxing 80% less.
    Also after she eats we would let her sleep in her swing ( and up right position) it helped keep her acid down. A good website was: "http://www.pollywogbaby.com/"
    Also, I let her sleep in her boppy pillow, it helped keep her in an upright position. But please note everyone says to NOT let them sleep with the boppy or anyother pillows because of suffocation. If she sleeps in the boppy, keep an eye on her to make sure shes not suffocating. Good luck mama
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 7:05 PM on May. 22, 2010