Why does everyone on this site seem to look down on anyone who doesn't believe in monogamy?

I've stated a number of times through different posts and questions that I don't believe people were meant to be monogamous. As a species I don't think it was ever meant to be. I believe in open relationships and open marriage, but for whatever reason because society sees open relationships as something which shouldn't be talked about, no one is ever willing to open their minds to the possibility that others may just be happy that way... Why is that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on May. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm in a monogamous marriage, but if it were up to me, I wouldn't be. I agree, we were never meant to be monogamous. I have tried to talk my husband in to finding a second wife a number of times, but he's not really interested. I see no benefit to monogamy and don't see why it caught on in the first place. No on is perfect and there are no two people which can completely fulfill one another's needs. It just can't happen. So finding other people to fill those additional needs is by no means far-fetched... In many other areas of the world extramarital affairs are very much the norm, and are understood to be a benefit to marriage. I don't understand why people in this country are so uncomfortable with the idea...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:31 PM on May. 22, 2010

• because culturally in the USA it's not practiced as often. I happen to agree with your thinking though I am monogamous. In many other countries people have another girlfriend/boyfriend, even if they are married. It's common in Italy (ironically, the Catholic capitol) and spouses look the other way. No one gets divorced over it.
    Anonymous

• Maybe some people are wired that way and thats fine everyone is different but me personally i love being commented to just my husband and he wouldn't have it any other way. but whatever works for you go for it!
    Anonymous

• More power to you, but in my own personal life, I am all for monogamy.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 6:19 PM on May. 22, 2010

• there are no two people which can completely fulfill one another's needs. It just can't happen.

I disagree with this. Not everyone has that sort of relationship, but some do. I do.
    As for the question at hand, it's not for me, but I don't care what other couples do. I think it's wrong if there is deception involved, but if all the parties are willing and aware, that's their life and their choice.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:13 PM on May. 22, 2010

• maybe its about finding someone thats compatible. I'm perfectly happy in my marriage and we've been married 20 plus years and my husband seems very happy as well. Theres never a dull moment in my home.
    Anonymous

• I don't have a problem with any type of relationship as long as all parties involved are consenting.  Monogamy is for me but there are plenty of people with successful relationships that are open, swinging, homosexual and polygamous. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:50 PM on May. 22, 2010

• . I think it's wrong if there is deception involved, but if all the parties are willing and aware, that's their life and their choice.

This is how I see things as well... I only consider it "cheating" if there is deception on the part of one party. If both people know, and are okay with it, I don't think it's cheating, just "extra."

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:12 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Probably because the majority of non-monogamous relationships end badly.
    Anonymous

• I'm with beeky- I'm very happy in my monogamous relationship, but if both parties are consensual and happy with an open marriage that's completely up to them.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:58 PM on May. 22, 2010