What do contracgtions feel like?

I have to go to L&D twice a week for NST's and today the nurse said im having strong contractions and im either in early labor or false labor. I wasnt feeling them so she sent me home. Im on complete bed rest, only allowed up to go to the bathroom. I was wondering what contractions actually feel like, maybe im feeling them and not knowing it. I have been having frequint and painful back pain.

nikkik526

Asked by nikkik526 at 5:55 PM on May. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• picture your worst period cramp then multiply it by 1000
    Anonymous

• Yes, they are feel like strong period cramps.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:59 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Contractions hit people differently. Mine were not bad at all, Everyone is different. I was told that I was very lucky...Lets put it this way, I had Both of my children pushing in all in less than 5 minutes and did not cry or feel much pain at all. My first child i had the epideral and my second was natural didnt bother me at all. But with most people...I hear that contractions are very painful and that you will def know. To me it felt like my belly was pushing itself down ...Sry its not much help.
    beachbabewdj08

Answer by beachbabewdj08 at 5:59 PM on May. 22, 2010

• When i have bad period carmps i cant get off the couch, thats how bad i get cramps, i wouldnt be able to move for awhile sometimes even the whole day.
    nikkik526

Answer by nikkik526 at 6:02 PM on May. 22, 2010

• yeah it's more painful than those period cramps. like i said, take your worst period cramp, multiply the pain times 1000, and those are contractions in active labor
    Anonymous

• Well for me I felt like someone was smashing my stomach in with a steel toed boot. lol They were so flipping PAINFUL. Thank god my labor was quick, and took one big push.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 6:43 PM on May. 22, 2010

• For me, it was like holding your breath while flexing your abs. It was a slight restraint on your abs, that intensified.
    Lil_Mama_45

Answer by Lil_Mama_45 at 7:14 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Bad menstrual cramps. With my second, I was in back labor, so I felt more pain across my lower back than in front. It felt like someone was squeezing the daylights out of my lower back. It was a lot more painful than my first labor.

I had a hysterectomy 2 months ago because of endometriosis and I hear you about the painful menstrual cramps!!! I had cramps so bad I couldn't move. Sometimes, they were as bad as labor pains. Thank goodness that's over!

Best wishes with your labor and your baby!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:51 PM on May. 22, 2010

• With my first, contractions felt like a giant elastic band snapping right around my middle, and baby's head was ushing into my spine, so the back pain was very painful, and then it would let up until the next contraction. With my 2nd, I only had cramping in regular intervals, not the all over "snap" of a contraction. The cramping was uncomfortable and gradually increased in intensity, but was totally do-able. Depends on your body - you may just be a baby delivering machine, like me. Good luck!!
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 9:29 AM on May. 24, 2010

• For me...they were a dull pain in my back that radiated to the front and up. As the pain started moving forward and up, it got stronger. Then it would start to calm down on the tail end of it.
    Army_Wife41

Answer by Army_Wife41 at 12:04 PM on May. 24, 2010