my two weeks old just sleep and doesnt want bottle

My two week old baby wont drink no more than 1 ounce every three hrs.
her doc say to wake her up every two hrs to feed, I do but when she awake no more than a ounce or 1.5 ounces. HAs anyone have this problem, i am thinking of changing formular for the second time. Please help..........

supermom2005

Asked by supermom2005 at 6:33 PM on May. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try breastfeeding
    Anonymous

• How do you know she CAN breast feed? Some people can't breast feed for medical reasons...some peoples milk doesn't even come in at all, or maybe she just doesn't want to for personal reasons, but no matter what...it's not your choice....so lay off.

Anyway OP...I have never heard of a baby eating so little. Is she sleeping a lot? You could try switching the formula...and if you're waking her every 2 hours, or just trying to feed her every two hours and she's only eating an ounce, try waking her every hour...so that she's getting at least 2oz every 2 hours. It might work. Good luck and I hope she starts eating for you =)
    Anonymous

• Absolutely try waking/ feeding every 2 hours. How much does she weigh? Has she re-gained back to her birth weight?
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:59 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Try Breastfeeding --- Shut up! Go to your La Leche League meeting and leave us bottle feeding sinners alone!

Is she screaming while eating, or does she just fall asleep? If she is screaming through feedings she might have reflux. If she falls asleep while eating try to play with her feet and legs to keep her awake. Has she had regular bowel movements? If my son was plugged up, he wouldn't eat well.

I'm tempted to say, enjoy the sleep while you can, but I know it scary. It's hard at that age because it could be formula, the bottle or a million different things. Just don't switch her to gentle ease, or soy....way too much corn syrup in my opinion.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 7:11 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Thanks for replies to answer ur questions.
    1 medical reason i cannot breastfeed
    2 she will fall a sleep as soon has she have 1 ounces
    3 i have change formular n this is the one she drinks
    4 she dont cry n she is not fussy
    5 its a miracle she gain 5 ounces at her two week s check up
    supermom2005

Answer by supermom2005 at 7:50 PM on May. 22, 2010

• I remember my sone being very sleepy too. I had to keep him awake. Strip your baby down to diapers, tickle his feet, keep a cool cloth near and tickle babies back with it. Don't let her sleep if she needs to eat. But since she gained 5 ounces she may be getting what she needs. Be persistant and make sure she eats the ounce every 2 hours at least. ITs prob not the formula.
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 9:00 PM on May. 22, 2010

• At 2 weeks I was lucky to get my daughter to eat 1 oz every 2 hours as well. Try not to worry, she'll pick up on that. It maybe all that she needs if she is still gaining. My daughter at 8 months barely, and more often than not didn't even take 4 oz a feeding every 6 hours. Now she is 22lbs 32 inches at her 2 year check up. small, but a good size for her.

As long as she is eating, gaining, isn't fussy, I would leave her formula alone and just try waking her often to feed her. One thing that did work for my daughter once I figured it out was .5oz every 30 minutes for 2 hours, let her sleep for 3 then repeat and at night I let her sleep for 2 hours and just get as much down her as I could.

Good LUCK!!
    Xandriasmommy

Answer by Xandriasmommy at 9:16 PM on May. 22, 2010