Can i lose weight during my pregnancy?

I'm over 200 pounds, so i dont really need to gian any nor do i want to!! This is my fourth pregnancy, is it safe for me to try to lose weight just by eating really well and mildly exercising? This will also be by 4th c-section so i dont want it to be more risky because of the extra weight.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:07 PM on May. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• In the beginning of the pregnancy you can lose weight. The first three months I lost 10+ lbs. Because I was so nauseated I did not want to eat. And because when I did it, I had such bad morning sickness I threw up. So Yes you can lose "some" weight, but it wont be fun, and it wont be on purpose
    Lil_Mama_45

Answer by Lil_Mama_45 at 7:18 PM on May. 22, 2010

• You can lose weight as long as you are eating right. I am 15 weeks and have lost 15lbs. I am also a little bigger and once I found out I was pregnant started to eat much healthier. But I make sure I get enough calories I need for baby and I. I know for me just cutting to those calories would make me lose weight. becaue I was eating more then I needed to before. But if you gain some or not anything. Do not stress about it. You are pregnant. We will put on some weight. You can worry about lossing that weight after baby is here.

Anonymous

• Eating healthy and exercising are what you should be doing anyway. It's possible you'll lose weight and it won't harm the pregnancy. But I would NOT change your habits expecting to lose weight. Dieting while pregnant can be dangerous.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 10:35 PM on May. 22, 2010

• My doctor told me it was okay to lose weight as long as it's not on purpose...
    kmg0528

Answer by kmg0528 at 10:59 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Just eat healthily and exercise. Don't focus on the number on the scale and don't starve or work yourself too hard, but certainly pregnancy is a wonderful time to get in healthy eating habits and get a bit healthier.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 11:01 PM on May. 23, 2010

• A good friend of my SIL sister was diagnosed as diabetic when she was pregnant. Not gestational diabetes but type 2 diabetes. She was overweight to begin with and with the special diet she needed to go on to control the diabetes, after the baby was born she weighed less than when what she weighed before she got pregnant. So yes, you can lose weight while pregnant. BUT make sure that you talk to your doctor(ob) first.  He/she may have a special diet plan and will probably want to monitor you and the baby closely.

nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 12:07 AM on May. 24, 2010

• i know a cpl of ppl that lost weight during the first trimester. . .but then their bodies naturally gained more than normal during the second trimester. if you talk to your doctor, they can give you a weight loss plan. as long as it's doctor supervised, you'll be ok. the doctor's that are told about weight loss in the beginning check your blood specifically for vital nutrients.
    soymodelo111

Answer by soymodelo111 at 12:34 AM on May. 24, 2010

• I lost 17 pounds with my oldest and about 40 with my youngest. My OB (with my oldest) and midwife (youngest) both said as long the baby was growing on track, they didn't care how much weight I lost. My oldest was 6.12 and my youngest was 7.10.
    That being said, i did not start out trying to lose weight....it just happened. Eating healthier and doing some gentle exercise (walking, etc) is what you should be doing anyway, and don't be surprised if you do find yourself minus some pounds. But you cna't actually TRY to diet.
    Aslen

Answer by Aslen at 12:04 PM on May. 24, 2010

• As most people have said, eat healthy and exercise and if you lose weight, great. The most important thing is that you are getting all the nutrients and fluid you need, and MOVE. I'm guessing if you are over 200 pounds, by eating the way you are supposed to eat, you'll lose weight. And if you'll maintain that through the pregnancy and then breast feed once the baby comes, you'll get an extra boost!!
    Dabberdoo

Answer by Dabberdoo at 12:18 PM on May. 24, 2010

• you could always get "lucky" and lose weight like i did when i was pregnant with DS. i lost 15 pounds in the first 4 months because i was SOOOOO sick and could not keep hardly anything down. then the rest of the pregnancy i only gained 15 pounds back, so i ended up weighing exactly the same when i had him as i did when i got pregnant. i was 210 pounds.
    Anonymous