Swimming while dilated

Im 36 weeks pregnant with a 50% effacement ane am 2cm dilated, can i swim? My o.b. has told me rather or not i can.

renniemom3

Asked by renniemom3 at 7:11 PM on May. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• go wth what your ob says!
    Anonymous

• I meant my o.b. hasnt told me either way. my fingers went didnt catch up with my brain. lol
    renniemom3

Answer by renniemom3 at 7:18 PM on May. 22, 2010

• I don't see why you couldn't swim. Your water has not broken.. and the water sac is what prevents anything from the outside world to the baby in the womb.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 7:49 PM on May. 22, 2010

• It is a great way to feel better, swimming is very nice!
    Unless you have a complication, illness or ruptured membranes, swimming should be great for you!
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:10 PM on May. 22, 2010

• now im confused. my previous 2 pregnancies my cervix opened around this time and my doc told me 2 stop sexual activity and not 2 swim. i didnt have any complications with either one of those pregnancies.
    renniemom3

Answer by renniemom3 at 8:20 PM on May. 22, 2010

• As long as your water hasn't broken, you should be fine. I wonder why they told you to stop sexual activity before, although 36 weeks is a little premature. Swimming won't aggravate anything in your cervix, but sex will. Swimming is more of a concern once your water has broken, because you can get an infection, and so can the baby. Did you ask your OB, and they were vague, or did you not ask? I would ask, if you are unsure, but I can't imagine they would tell you not to swim at this point.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:10 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Maybe your OB was being really pre-cautious. Perhaps s/he sees everything as "a complication waiting to happen..."

Sex *can* set off PTL and swimming while ruptured (IF you had not noticed you were leaking) *might* invite bacteria-infection.

The benefits outweigh the risks for me, non high-risk and all. So I would do it. You can always ask her/his opinion, again.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:35 AM on May. 23, 2010

• When i was measured last week he told me i was 2cm 50% effaced then b4 i could sit up he was gone. he has a habit of leaving b4 i have a chance 2 ask anything. it usually doesnt bother me since this isnt my first rodeo. il ask at my next appt monday.
    renniemom3

Answer by renniemom3 at 11:42 AM on May. 23, 2010

• gr!!
    :-(

I know it's "generalizing," but what is up with OBs?!?
    lol

Midwives average 30 minutes (compared to the 7 minutes for OBs) in each prenatal appt. That can really help to cover a LOT more ground (getting questions asked and answered, developing a trusting, nurturing relationship).

I hope you get what you need at your next appointment~ although you can always call & ask, too.
    Good luck!

:-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:39 PM on May. 23, 2010