Does anyone know if a child is taken by CPS..will they place them with a family member that is across state lines?

Even if they are within 30 minutes away?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:42 PM on May. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• no they wont,they wont even give u any information on the kids when they take them.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:33 PM on May. 22, 2010

• It depends on the reason CPS is taking the kids. They usually try to place kids with family members before strangers. My friend had her kids taken away and she always knew where they were. She had supervised visits from the beginning. The more you cooperate with CPS, the more priveleges you will recieve.It also may vary state to state.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:43 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Actually thats wrong. Usually they place them in foster care first while they check out the potential family members who might take over custody. They are considered a flight risk and might let you see/have the kids illegally. The family members will have to go through a lot of paperwork. Why were your kids taken away?
    Anonymous

• I tried to adopt my cousin's daughter across state lines (she was in foster care & they were going to terminate parental rights) - but my state would have had to pay me foster care money (even though I said I didn't want it) so they denied it. I then moved to the state she was in but still didn't get her because the social worker told me (and I quote) "if she was 10 I'd give her to you but I have over 100 families waiting for a caucasian female under the age of two."
    So I guess it depends on whether the kids are "in demand" or not also.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:36 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Nope..Every state has different guidelines. Are you trying to get someone's child taken from them in the hopes that you can raise that child? If so it won't work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on May. 23, 2010

• It depends on why the child is being taken and if they can find someone closer they will try to put them there. Usually they try to keep the child with a family member in-state b/c rules and regualtions can vary state to state. its easier to maintian in state. if its a permanent placement then yes the child could go to another family member out of state my friend lives in ohio and got her"daughter" from new jersery cuz none of the family there would take her...
    jazmya_mom

Answer by jazmya_mom at 2:46 AM on May. 23, 2010