4 months rolls onto belly to sleep, screams, then passes out

I always put my 4 month old to sleep on his back but recently he's begun to roll over onto his belly a few minutes after I put him down. I'm not worried about this, since he is good at rolling from back to front and front to back and has been holding his head up well for months. But the weird thing is that when he rolls onto his belly he screams for at least 5 minutes. Then he finally puts his cheek on the mattress and falls asleep.

When he first started doing this I would roll him back onto his back, but he would return to his belly a few minutes later. So now I let him stay on his tummy because he seems to want to sleep that way. Ipat him, etc but he still screams. but his naps have gotten somewhat better since he started doing this. But why the screaming? Is it just that he is unaccustomed to sleeping this way? If so, why keep rolling onto his tummy? Did this happen to anyone else?

tiredmomma33

Asked by tiredmomma33 at 8:27 PM on May. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (-5 Credits)
  • yes, for all 3 of my kids.... it's normal lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:14 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Mine used to do that too, and I tried like you did for a while to roll them back, but they eventually got through it and started sleeping on their side or tummy without all the fuss. They mostly slept with us and nursed a lot, so they'd roll around a lot in between nursing sessions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I'm glad to hear others experienced this. I hope he works through it soon. He was up every hour last night!
    tiredmomma33

Answer by tiredmomma33 at 11:39 AM on May. 23, 2010