Do you think a drug addict can still be a good parent?

I kid you not, this is what CPS told me when I called them on my sister-in-law. She is a meth addict. They told me that drug use is not a good enough reason for them to take her kids away because 'lots of people are drug addicts and are still good parents.' Bullshit.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on May. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• From seeing it first hand, no. And umm I would be calling them back and ask to speak to someone in charge. That is crazy! Drugs even being an alcoholic is a reason to take kids away and they should be out there now checking to see if what you said is true and if so they should be taking those children away.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 9:47 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Heck No! I have my brother's two daughters because he is on drugs. The CPS worker should be slapped.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 9:48 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Sorry, no.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 9:48 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Drug abusers are not good parents. Whoever you talked to is an idiot!
    Anonymous

• No! The drug is their priority, NOT the children...
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 9:55 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Yes, it is possible. Not often, but it is possible. There are people walking around and functioning that are drug addicts and you would NEVER know it. It is also true that being a drug addict is NOT a reason CPS will take a child from a parent. If the child is being cared for, they will not take the child.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:59 PM on May. 22, 2010

• No, and that CPS worker needs a new job. Call again.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:05 PM on May. 22, 2010

• No not even after they are clean. It screws up your brain. Those brain cells are dead forever, they don't recover. I have seen moms in the system that have got there children back because they are clean but they are still horrible parents who can't think straight.
    Anonymous

• My little max went to preschool with a little girl who's mom was CLEARLY a meth addict. She was skin stretched over bones with severe meth mouth. My heart ached for that little girl. She was so sweet but clearly not being provided for. Her clothes were very small (she was very small for her age and her clothes were about 2 sizes smaller than that), and when ever we had a parents day project envolving making something with food, the little girl would scarf it down instead of using it for her craft. I don't doubt that her mother oved her, as she was affectionate with her and always showed up for the school stuff, but she clearly was not providing for her and the family's money for food (or food stamps) was being used to support her meth addiction. Just loving your kids is not enough - you also have to meet their basic needs. So no - i don't think you can be an effective parent and be a meth addict.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:17 PM on May. 22, 2010

• also from seein it first hand no esp hard drugs like meth and herion. pot ehh its kinda ify but it depends on how much pot is smoked. i seen people on meth and they can get violent and when the come down they crash hard. i would call back and talk to a supervisor and demand that an investigation be done.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 10:29 PM on May. 22, 2010