To Reupholster or Slipcover?

I really dislike the color of my camelback sofa and wingback chairs. I have never reupholstered anything before, and I'm nervous to make this my first project. I also have the option to buy slipcovers. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations? Is reupholstering that difficult? How much would it cost to pay someone to reupholster my furniture? Thank you kindly in advance!

SMH2010

Asked by SMH2010 at 9:59 PM on May. 22, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Get an estimate on reupholstering and then decide what to do.
    Anonymous

• Got estimates: $520 per chair, $860 for the sofa. Yikes.
    SMH2010

Answer by SMH2010 at 11:07 PM on May. 22, 2010

• slipcovering is relatively cheap. if you don't know how to reupholster, i would not try on your only couch and chairs! i've never done it, but i know it can be difficult. if you love the couch and chairs' style, and they are still in good shape structurally, i say slipcover and save up the money to professionally reupholster at a later date. and take your time picking out the fabric since it's an investment.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 11:43 AM on May. 24, 2010

• $520 is a little too high I think and $860.... wow! I would go for the slip covers and put some of that weird looking foam shelf lining on the arms of your wingbacks to get the covers to stay and on the back of your couch. I have had the same dilema but I eventually sold my wingbacks because of the price of reupholstering and dilema of sewing them a cover. I sewed a slipcover for my couch and I like it.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:59 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Slipcovering may be cheaper, it may not. I just had a professional slipcover made for my sofa and it cost more than what I paid for the actual sofa. Get an estimate to know for sure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Jun. 2, 2010