How do I get my 6 and 3 year old off the sippy cup??

My kids love their sippy cup at night but I think they are old enough to come to me in the night if they are thirsty and also they wear pull-ups at night! Can you please give me some advice????

thankyou moms!!!!

momtotwo249

Asked by momtotwo249 at 10:35 PM on May. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• yeah, 3 years ago you should have stopped it with the 6 year old.. thats SCHOOL AGE?! why did you wait so long? im curious.... thats sad. Like, i feel bad for the kid.
    Anonymous

• Throw them away.. and put them in underwear. if they still wet their beds at night they dont need to be taking drinks with them and you need to cut them off from drinking an hour or more before they go to bed. 6 years old is WAY too old for a sippy cup.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 10:39 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Neither of them should get ANYTHING to drink after 6pm or so. Then it ends the sippy cup AND pull up issue. Take them away, period. Put them in underware, period. After they wet the bed because they don't want to get up & go potty, have THEM change their bed each time... after a time or two they WILL get the picture.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:43 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Every night I place a water bottle on my sons nightstand just in case.

This is the one that he has:

http://www.thermos.com/product_details.aspx?ProdID=976&CatCode=HYDR&q=

Anonymous

• By the way, my son doesn't have an accident at night so I'm comfortable with placing water on his nightstand.
    Anonymous

• i agree with the first pp. my son is 3, being daytime potty trained and even though he wears pullups at night until we get to the night time potty training, he still doesn't get anything to drink after dinner. (6:30, bedtime is 8) and my 1yr old has decided that sippy's are for babies. she has a fit if i try to give her a sippy. *sigh* my babies are growing up too fast :(
    Anonymous

• My advice is throw away the sippy cups, stop giving them drinks an hour before bed and potty train your kids. Having a healthy child of normal intelligence in pull ups and drinking from a sippy at 6 years old is lazy parenting. Unacceptable.
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 11:08 PM on May. 22, 2010

• just throw them away. My daughter has been off the sippy since 2.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 11:24 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Throw away the sippy cups. They can't use them if the cups are gone.
    How long did you plan to buy Pull Ups for these kids? They shouldn't need them if they aren't drinking all night.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Take away the sippy cups completly, don't let them have anything to drink 2 hours prior to bed time and then take them to pee right before you go to bed until they get used to staying dry at night. Seriously, you should have done both of these things about 3 years ago for the 6yo. The 3yo is pretty on target but you really did a dis-service to your 6yo.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on May. 23, 2010