Those free ones just aren't as good, are they?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/20/AR2010052003980.html

PLEASE read the full article to get the whole picture. In summary, the DC area gives out free condoms to whoever wants them. But the high-school kids and college age young adults are complaining because the brand that the city is giving out FREE just isn't quite good enough to suit them, they are too small, and they (HS'ers) are too embarassed to ask the school nurse for them. So, being resourceful there in DC, they have decided to give these kids what they want. They are going to go to the Trojan brand, offer the XL size, and they will have the popular, cool, preferably male teachers hand them out. The theory is that if the kids don't like them, they won't use them. So, the city is feeling obligated to provide what the kids want.

I am absolutely floored by this. Does anyone else besides me have a problem with this concept?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on May. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• ACTUALLY anon I went and put MYSELF on BC because MY mama had always told me if you are big enough girl to have sex then you are a big enough girl to take the precautions. Things like this dont teach our kids personal responsibility. I am not saying abstinence only approach is great but this laissez-faire attitude about our kids and sex is sick. It's almost like the argument to let underage kids drink in your home,.......because they are going to do it ANYway. It doesn't negate the fact that they should be taught that it's not a good thing to be doing AND they should be taught that if they are BIG AND BAD enough to DO it then they should be BIG AND BAD enough to buy the condoms. Come on.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:52 PM on May. 22, 2010

• lol
    Anonymous

• No, might as well practice safe since it is happening anyway.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 10:38 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Nope, I feel that if you raise your kids to be responsible adults and make educated choices, they will choose abstinence or use the condom. Win win situation if you think about it. What are you afraid of? The kids are being educated so there are less unplanned pregnancies and sexually transmitted disease. Isn't this what we all want in the end? Parents who aren't thinking about this objectively and talking with their children about it, are living in a fantasy world if they think their kids aren't having sex. By offering this in a more comfortable environment, we are protecting our kids.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:43 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Well said! I agree Lifes a dance. Time for everyone to open their eyes and live in the present. Kids who are educated are going to be more responsible. Parents need to open their eyes. Think back to your own high school days. We could have used some free condoms then too. We didn't want to tell our parents either.
    Anonymous

• I wasn't having sex in high school, I wouldn't have even dreamed of doing it! My Mom had a talk with me about why I shouldn't be having sex and it had nothing to do with church then she had a bit of advice..it basically went "if I find out you are having sex or you turn up pregnant you will not like the consequences." I knew what the "consequences" were...my Mom would KILL me! Not literally of course. You didn't want to be in trouble with my Mom! Worrying about what my Mom would think/do kept me away from so much bad crap. I am teaching my children the same way.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:02 PM on May. 22, 2010

• clapping momof030404

Anonymous

• YSK- Fear and intimidation are lousy and unhealthy parenting tactics.They can lead /contribute to many abnormal coping mechanisms, including drugs, alcohol and eating disorders.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:07 PM on May. 22, 2010

• OR they can lead to well adjusted kids that understand that there WILL be consequences if they act stupid ;)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:10 PM on May. 22, 2010

• The problem I see is that if the younger boys are using XL condoms because it makes them feel "tough" but they don't fit... we're going to have issues. If they don't work properly or they are being used safely- may as well not use them at all. Kids are going to think they are being safe when the realities are not so.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 11:37 PM on May. 22, 2010