Seperation anxiety at almost 10 months?

My son will be 10 months in like a week. Lately he has been really clingy and really loving towards me. Crawling all over me and laying his head on me...really sweet. :) Anyways, he has also been crying every time I leave the room. Its not ALL the time, but usually when it is just me and him in the house, if I leave the room for a second, he instantly starts crying and won't stop until I come back in. He's fine though if I'm in the room with him. He even sometimes won't let me fiance hold him and keeps reaching and crying for me. Is this seperation anxiety? Is it normal for it to start this early?

Ash9724

Asked by Ash9724 at 11:04 PM on May. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is a sign that the two of you are well bonded. This is a good thing.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:48 AM on May. 23, 2010

• My son is very similar and he will be 9 months in a week. He doesn't eat as well with other people and sometimes cries bloody murder when I leave the room. Not all the time though, thank goodness. But if he is hungry or sleepy, he will crawl all over me and lay his head on me. And he won't want anybody else but me. He is now teething and if he wakes in the night, he won't get calmed by anybody but me. My book says it can start around 8 months and could last until 15 months, or even later. Man, I hope not, lol!
    Anonymous

• It's partly separation anxiety and also that they are learning a sense of time and part they are learning that they can control your actions by crying. It will pass. I've learned that phases usually last 2-3 weeks then it's on to something else.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:16 PM on May. 22, 2010

• my son just turned 10 months last week and does the same thing. He is glued to my hip. Everyone tells me he is spoiled, I think he's just well loved and im trying my best to enjoy this moment. But sometimes its hard when I need to do something and he cries for me. I ushally have to wait untill he's asleep, or my older son is home. Then my baby will want to play forever with him!
    sunsetbeach81

Answer by sunsetbeach81 at 1:18 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Books say separation anxiety peaks at 9-12 months and 15-18 months.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:04 AM on May. 23, 2010