Teach English abroad?

Have you taught overseas or do you know someone who has?

I am a former ESL teacher and am thinking of doing so, and would love to hear of any real life (and relatively recent) experiences.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on May. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• I wanted to do the JET program (Japan) but I don't want to uproot my family to do it. Once my son is older then I might try to do it, but not while he is still young. I have looked into several programs so if you need the websites to different programs just let me know. I hope you are able to find someone with actual experience.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:21 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I am thinking of South America, since I speak Spanish.

I wonder if you have to pay and go through an agency, even if you have experience.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on May. 23, 2010

• There are some places that charge a "fee". However, there are a lot of places that you will only pay for the application fee. Keep looking until you find exactly what you want and make sure to read all the fine print before you sign a contract.

http://www.transitionsabroad.com/listings/work/esl/teaching_english_in_latin_america_top_jobs.shtml

http://www.transitionsabroad.com/listings/work/esl/teaching_english_in_south_america_top_jobs.shtml

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:52 PM on May. 23, 2010

• My brother lives in Venezuela and he taught ESL to adults and he hated it. He said they were very difficult. Good luck!
    rosadnr

Answer by rosadnr at 10:02 PM on May. 23, 2010

• rosednr,
    Where in Venezuela did he teach?
    Does he speak Spanish? Adults are usually motivated learners.
    Anonymous