How do I keep rabbits from eating up my veggie garden?

I planted pumpkins, zuccini corn and sunflower plants...will they even go for these plants ???? What can I do to prevent them from eating anything up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on May. 22, 2010 in Home & Garden

• This is what i found...
    In the vegetable garden rabbits prefer peas, beans and beets. In general they will not eat corn, squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers or potatoes. Though a rabbit may "taste" a newly planted tomato plant, biting the stem in two then deciding it was not to his liking and leaving the stem on the ground.
    So what to do about our cottontail friends………………
    One of the best ways is to construct a two foot high fence around the vegetable garden out of poultry wire.
    It is very important that your fence be tight to the ground or even buried a few inches. Rabbits are more likely to go under a fence than hop over it. Also make sure that your fence openings are not too wide allowing the rabbits to squeeze through. I would recommend using fencing with openings not bigger than two inches.
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 11:52 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Gardeners have also reported success sprinkling vinegar, hot pepper flakes and liquid chile sprays on and around plants. One method is to soak corn cobs in vinegar for five minutes and then place them throughout the garden. The corn cobs should be resoaked in vinegar after two weeks.
    MomOfDagJag

• I have heard that peeing around the boarder of you garden keeps deer out so maybe it would work for rabbits too. Its free and easy, it you have a DH or SO, send them out to play, they should have fun. GL
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 11:59 PM on May. 22, 2010

• my dad used to trap them and drive them miles away to release them.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:10 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Someone told me to sprinkle human hair around in your garden. Go to the beauty shop and ask them for a bag of clippings.

Someone also told me to put Irish Spring soap in the garden. That didn't work for us, the rabbits came anyway. I'm going to try the hair thing this year.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:55 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I've had good luck planting marigolds along the border of my gardens in the past. They smell bad and I would imagine taste worse! They're also good for repelling mosquitoes. Good luck!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 9:33 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Peeing around the border of food you have to eat????? Never heard of that one, but go to home depot or lowe's, and in the garden department, you'll find garden screens that you can place over your entire garden to keep out rabbits or other annoying critters.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 10:13 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Thanks all for your input!!!! I'm definitely going to try a few of these! I also heard garlic as well...
    Anonymous