Swimming for dd with period?

Now that my 12-year old gets her period, I am wondering what others do for swimming lessons.

She is not ready for tampons.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 PM on May. 22, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• No tampons- no swimming. Or, she uses one of the cup varieties.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 11:38 PM on May. 22, 2010

• swimming stops your flow. a simple panty liner (like one of the everyday ones) will suffice.
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 11:39 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Um I def. do not agree with momofdag! I wouldn't bank on the fact that swimming stops her flow. I don't think that works all the time. And putting a panty liner in a bathing suit and getting in the pool?! You are just asking for it to come out! There's no way its going to stick! How embarassing! And honestly if some girl got in the pool on her period with nothing, no tampon or anything, I'd be seriously grossed out. That's nasty. If she isn't ready for tampons, then no swimming IMO.
    Anonymous

• throwing upOH GROSSS! No way MomofDag! No tampon No swimming. They make slender varieties. No one wants to swim in a pool of her blood!

Anonymous

• swimming does not stop your flow!!!! why isnt she ready for tampons?? what about a divapcup then??
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:50 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Trying so hard to remember here,,ugh! Its only been like two years and yet I cant remember the exact time that dd announced to me that she was ready for tampons. I think she must have been 14. She started at 12 as well and she and her friends chit chatted about tampons and I was out of the loop. I thought she wouldnt be ready for tampons forever, but those kids now, they are so far advanced then we where. I know dd had swimming in her freshmen year so Im thinking she was 14. No tampon means no pool. She will be ok with it, my dd was.
    Anonymous

• *divacup
    alexis_06

• swimming lessons at 12?
    Anonymous

• You could try the cup, I have never used one so I dont know if it would work or not. I was 12 or 13 when i started using tampons, i tried pads for my first period and HATED them so my mom let me use tampons.

Anon 52 they have lessons for advance swimmers also, its not just all learning to float and dog paddle. the other strokes need to be taught once a child is comfortable in the water and has learned the basics.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:05 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Are you talking about swimming in school? I think when girls took swimming in school for PE they simply would spend their PE time running on a treadmill or something instead during that week. I personally avoided it by never selecting swimming as an option in High School (didn't have period before then so didn't have to worry.)

And to the lady who mentioned the panty liner - what planet are you from where that would work?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:29 AM on May. 23, 2010