When can I start giving my baby baby food?

She just turn 5 mos and is breastfed only..

navajomama7

Asked by navajomama7 at 11:54 PM on May. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you dont have to do baby food. Breastmilk is perfect in and of itself.
    But if you want to let her "test" some foods, wait til at least 6 months and sitting up unassisted.
    Good first foods are Avocados and Bananas
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 11:56 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Peds recommend starting rice cereal at 4-5 months. Take it slow, one thing at a time and for at least 3 days to check for allergies. Start out very runny, almost if nothing is there. Read the cereal box, it will have directions. After rice cereal, go to oatmeal, then after your baby gets to a bit thicker textures from the cereals, move to 1st foods. You can start now if you want.
    Anonymous

• my son is going to be 7 months and i am just now giving him carrots. we have been following his lead. we found out that he likes his baby food very thick, so i mix it with a TBSP of breastmilk, around 2 tsp carrot, and then what ever amount of oatmeal cereal it takes to thicken it up. we mix it in a shot glass cause it's so easy to use and to wash... cheap too. at first he took it here and there, but recently we've kicked it up and he ate 80% of the amount we made. we started him on rice cereal and oatmeal cereal.... he got tired of them real quick. that's why i mixed in just a little bit of carrot. i'm hoping to make baby food out of the produce from my garden
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 11:59 PM on May. 22, 2010

• "Signs that the older baby is ready for solids include sitting up with minimal support, showing good head control, trying to grab food off your plate, or turning her head to refuse food when she is not hungry. Your baby may be ready for solids if she continues to act hungry after breastfeeding. The loss of the tongue thrusting reflex that causes food to be pushed out of her mouth is another indication that she’s ready to expand her taste experience.

You may find that the number of breastfeedings will gradually decrease as her solid-food consumption increases. A baby who nursed every two to three hours during early infancy may enjoy three or four “meals” of breast milk per day (along with several snacks) by her twelfth month.

Unless you intend to wean her soon, be sure to continue breastfeeding whenever she desires to ensure your continuing milk supply."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on May. 23, 2010

• as long as the tongue thrust reflex is gone and she can sit up with little support go ahead and try it. the cereal box says a serving is 1/4 cup, but start with just a teaspoon or so to get her used to it first. if you choose to go with bananas or avocados or something mix it with some breastmilk to thin it out a little and again, stick with only a teaspoon or so to start.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:03 AM on May. 23, 2010

• 4-5 months is for FORMULA babies. Doesn't apply to the breastfed.

Next month. Mashed banana works great.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:37 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breast milk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts. Two fantastic books on feeding babies, with slightly differing philosophies are Baby Led Weaning and Super Baby Food. Check them out of the library. Both websites have great information: www.babyledweaning.com www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 7:42 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Hi there , I have a baby boy 8 months old. I am breastfeeding my baby and started to give him to taste solid food when he was 4 months old. I have started with the banana, apple, potato , carrot. when he was 6 months old the I have started eggs, chicken and meat.

At first I gave him a little spoon  to taste the food and to check that he isn't allergic to these kind of food and after I was sure it was  OK I fed him.

Today I am trying to feed him with the same food that the family eats but scrunched  and still breastfeeding him.

good luck

sarit

saritbronstein

Answer by saritbronstein at 8:04 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I recommend sometime AFTER the 6 month mark. And you don't have to use cereal, or even jars. You can, if you want, but you also can just mash up some of your food, or fruits and veggies, and feed that.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:02 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Sarit, I just wanted to say that you have such an uncommon name, at least here, but you also share the name with my sister in law! I've never met another Sarit before, so I had to mention it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:03 AM on May. 23, 2010