disciplining a 7 month old???

my ds is going to be 7 months old and he really really really likes putting anything in his mouth. when i went to the doctor's for his 6 month checkup, i met a mom of 2 kids, one being 5 months. she was already telling him "no". i guess my question is this: what sort of things do you start with? i mean, i've started saying no when things drop on the ground, or when he keeps throwing things from his highchair and expects it back...

Marri357

Asked by Marri357 at 11:54 PM on May. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• just say no and redirect his attention theres not much you can do more then that and he will catch on if your consistent
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 11:56 PM on May. 22, 2010

• Oh momma, a 7 month old pumpkin head...just enjoy this time with baby, this is when they are at their most adorable state,,how do you disipline a 7 month old? I have teens, I wish I could go back to when they where 7 months and just love them and hug on them again. Time goes so fast, dont miss a second worrying about how to discipline baby. This time is too dang precious hon
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I started dicipling once my baby started crawling at 5 mos. She would try to crawl for plugs and stuff so i would say no and redirect her
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 12:05 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I don't consider it disipline at that age. You are essentially laying the ground work for it later though. It's not horrible to take something they shouldn't be putting in their mouths and say no. It's not like you are yelling at them or inforcing timeout or anything like that. No is a word he's going to have to get to know inless you intend for him to get his way all the time. I will usually say, No thank you in a voice that is a bit firm. Nothing harsh, you're teaching him, not disiplining him.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:13 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Give me a break. You can't discipline a child that has no concept of what the heck you are talking about. It's natural that babies stick things in their mouth. They are oral creatures. If they put something in their mouth that shouldn't be there then take it out. Better yet, keep things up out of reach that shouldn't go into their mouth. They have no idea what "NO" even means! It just scares me to read some of these answers knowing these people are real moms. I'm not talking about your question, I'm talking about the answers. I think parents should have to take a child psychology class to even know the stages of brain development and what they can understand and when. Good grief, they are babies exploring their world! If you just say "no" he's going to laugh at you thinking you are playing. Where on earth do these other moms think their child learned the meaning of the word "no" so a baby can understand what she's meaning?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I have a 9 month old and I started saying no to him now that he's crawling and getting into things he shouldn't. I just say no-no! And move him away from whatever it is. Sometimes he smiles or laughs at me, haha, and sometimes he actually stops and just stares.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:16 AM on May. 23, 2010

• as others said, about the only thing you can do it say no and get him interested in other things. "No" isn't so much discipline at this point so much as a learning experience.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:59 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Well, I don't think the word no has much meaning at that age. But when my kids were that age and did the "lets put everything in my mouth" we allways said "ucky yucky" (yeah, I know, a bit silly) but we would say that, and pull their hand away from their mouth but not take it,. We would keep pulling their hand away till they would drop it themselves or hand it to us, eventually we would only have to say "ucky yucky" and they would stop what they were doing and put whatever it was that they were trying to mouth back down. People freak with the word discipline, but what I just discribe is discipline. Teaching is discipline, redirecting is discipline, When you do something that helps your child gain selfcontrol or helps them learn, that is discipline. "no" is an overused word. Don't make discipline harder then it has to be.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:39 AM on May. 23, 2010

• "dicipline' is sort of a strong word. I prefer training. I started training my 5 mo old. He get's told "no" when something is dangerous, I pick him up and move him toward a toy or something. He knows the word "no".
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:16 PM on May. 24, 2010