is there any mention of Jesus or prophecy of his life in the old testament

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on May. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• In the Tanakh the Nevi'm books or Prophets a major prophet Isaiah 52 verse 13-15 Isaiah 53 whole chapter isaiah 56 verse 1 "Thus saith the LORD Observe what is right and do what is just;for soon My salvation shall come and my deliverence be revealed" These are the most detailed writings on Yeshua (Jesus) Yeshua(Jesus) means Salvation in Hebrew.
    I hope this helps!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

Psalms 2:7 (NIV) I will proclaim the decree of the LORD: He said to me, "You are my Son ; today I have become your Father.

Proverbs 30:4 (NIV) Who has gone up to heaven and come down? Who has gathered up the wind in the hollow of his hands? Who has wrapped up the waters in his cloak? Who has established all the ends of the earth? What is his name, and the name of his son? Tell me if you know!

Matthew 3:17 (NIV) And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased."

Luke 1:32 (NIV) He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David,

Romans 1:4 (NIV) and who through the Spirit of holiness was declared with power to be the Son of God by his resurrection from the dead: Jesus Christ our Lord.

m2KnL

Answer by m2KnL at 9:15 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Jesus Christ would be anointed with the Holy Spirit of God.

Isaiah 11:2 (NIV) The Spirit of the LORD will rest on him-- the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the Spirit of counsel and of power, the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD--

Isaiah 61:1 (NIV) The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners,

Psalms 45:7-8 (NIV) You love righteousness and hate wickedness; therefore God, your God, has set you above your companions by anointing you with the oil of joy. 8 All your robes are fragrant with myrrh and aloes and cassia; from palaces adorned with ivory the music of the strings makes you glad.

Prophecies fullfilled, cont.
    m2KnL

Answer by m2KnL at 9:18 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Cont. Matthew 3:16 (NIV) As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him.

John 3:34 (NIV) For the one whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God gives the Spirit without limit.

Acts 10:38 (NIV) how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him.
    m2KnL

• Isaiah 9:5-7 (NIV) Every warrior's boot used in battle and every garment rolled in blood will be destined for burning, will be fuel for the fire. 6 For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. 7 Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the LORD Almighty will accomplish this.

Jeremiah 23:5-6 (NIV) "The days are coming," declares the LORD, "when I will raise up to David a righteous Branch, a King who will reign wisely and do what is just and right in the land. 6 In his days Judah will be saved and Israel will live in safety. This is the name by which he will be called: The LORD Our Righteousness.

Cont.
    m2KnL

Answer by m2KnL at 9:19 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Cont. Romans 10:9 (NIV) That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Philippians 2:9-11 (NIV) Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
    m2KnL

Answer by m2KnL at 9:20 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Jesus Christ would be The King.

Psalms 2:6 (NIV) "I have installed my King on Zion, my holy hill."

John 18:33-37 (NIV) Pilate then went back inside the palace, summoned Jesus and asked him, "Are you the king of the Jews?" 34 "Is that your own idea," Jesus asked, "or did others talk to you about me?" 35 "Am I a Jew?" Pilate replied. "It was your people and your chief priests who handed you over to me. What is it you have done?" 36 Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place." 37 "You are a king, then!" said Pilate. Jesus answered, "You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me."

m2KnL

Answer by m2KnL at 9:21 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Jesus Christ would be a Prophet.

Deuteronomy 18:15 (NIV) The LORD your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your own brothers. You must listen to him.

Deuteronomy 18:18 (NIV) I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers; I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell them everything I command him.

Acts 3:20-22 (NIV) and that he may send the Christ, who has been appointed for you--even Jesus. 21 He must remain in heaven until the time comes for God to restore everything, as he promised long ago through his holy prophets. 22 For Moses said, 'The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your own people; you must listen to everything he tells you.
    m2KnL

• Here is a link with the prophecies I quoted from; and more prophecies fulfilled.

http://www.cynet.com/jesus/prophecy/ntquoted.htm

m2KnL

Answer by m2KnL at 9:24 AM on May. 23, 2010

• The entire Bible is about Jesus Christ. Most of the OT tells the story of our redemption through Him in "types" or symbols,The stories are allegorical as well as literal. The NT produces the "antitype" or fulfillment. There are over 140 prophecies fulfilled by Christ. Here are a few:
    Born of a Virgin-Isaiah 7:14
    Born in Bethlehem -Micah 5:2 (margin)
    Of David's Lineage- Jeremiah 23:5
    Preceded By Elijah-Malachi 4:5-6
    Preceded by a Messenger- Malachi 3:1
    Anointed with the Holy Spirit-Psalms 45:7,Isaiah 11:2,Isaiah 61:1
    Anointed on Time- Daniel 9:25 (was fulfilled in Mark 1:14-15)

cont.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 10:47 AM on May. 23, 2010