Floride...

I have read some on this but not alot yet. Our kids went to the dentist last week and in the paperwork that was sent home for our dd it stated to buy .4% floride gel and use it daily. I didn't feel comfortable with the dentist using floride at the visit but I haven't researched it so I left it alone. Our kids use toothpast with floride and it seems a bit much to add floride gel to it. Does anyone use it? BTW, our dd is 7, our twins are 2.5 and the baby is 17 months. I know some use it everyday.

What is your take on it? How old are your children? Our youngest hasn't got the hang of spitting yet so I use VERY, VERY little toothpaste. Our twins spit very well, as long as I remind them.

TIA

palexander

Asked by palexander at 1:00 AM on May. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm not sure what fluoride gel is, but my kids ages 7 and 2 get fluoride tablets and they had fluoride drops when they were babies because we don't have fluoride in our water supply. After doing some research on the subject, I felt kind of on the fence on whether to give it to them or not and didn't for a while, but now I do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on May. 23, 2010

• We do not use floride. We use floride free toothpaste. if you do more research I am sure you'll forgo the gel if not switch to floride free all together.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:16 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I really don't mind the floride toothpaste. It is the extra floride in the gel or tablets or drops. We do not have floride in the water so I don't mind the toothpaste. But to me adding a gel that they can't swallow AT ALL is to risky. No matter how careful I am I still sometimes swallow alittle toothpaste. So if I do then I know the kids will, if I am not fast enough to remind them to spend.

Daughteroftruth, what are some good website to look up info on floride. I read the ADA's info on floride but I would like more.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 1:21 AM on May. 23, 2010

• The floride action network has alot of good information. so you can google them.
    Its hard to give just one link. If you search floridation you will find information about concerns, contorversies and studies about water floridation. The basic idea behind all of it is that floride is a natrually occuring and yes needed mineral, but it we are exposed not just in our toothpaste, but it is also in the food we eat and in some cases our water. While we think extra floride is needed to reduce the occurance of tooth decay, countries with no use of floride have see the same decrese in tooth decay and the same increase in general hygine as countries that routinely use it. Floride in larg amounts is known to cause foridosis of the teeth, but can also cause it in the bones. There are many studies currently being conducted, but the question of the nessesity and safty are still in the air.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:57 AM on May. 23, 2010

• That is what I thought. Using floride toothpaste and getting floride from our food should be enough. Why add extra floride?

Another problem that I may face is I don't want floride used EVERYTIME the kids go to the dentist. However, when I signed the paperwork it clearly states that if I refuse to let the dentist treat our children then she WILL call CPS. I just wonder if she is going to do this if I refuse the floride? I can understand her calling when parents refuse to get their children's teeth fixed.

Thank you I will look them up.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 2:05 AM on May. 23, 2010

• we do not use toothpaste with fluoride in it. i believe that if it can't be swallowed, then it should not go in your mouth.
    my reasons for limiting toxins at home are because i can't always limit them outside of the home, i suppose i might rather have a fluoride treatment once a year than every day. do you have to use that dentist? there are biological dentists that will not give you are hard time about fluoride.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:04 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I don't use gel. Fluoride is in the vitamins my sons get so they get it that way.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:01 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I personally fell that ingesting it is where the major problem lies and topical treatment is not horrible so to keep the dentist and DH happy my kids use toothpaste with fluoride and get fluoride treatments at the dentist, but we do not use anything else. The only reason our dentist recommended the fluoride treatments and rinse at home is because we have well water with no fluoride added to it. My kids also didn't use fluoride toothpaste until they could spit very well (around 2-3 years old).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I signed the paperwork it clearly states that if I refuse to let the dentist treat our children then she WILL call CPS

She can call CPS, but they'll laugh her off the phone. Hundreds of thousands of kids in this country never even set foot in a dentists office. Many people go their entire lives without seeing a dentists. It's not abuse or neglect to refuse the fluoride. My bet is that is intended for when a child has a painful or infected tooth and the parent doesn't want to pay for it.

I would research, then share your concerns with the doctor. See what she says and rember you can always find another dentist.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 3:53 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Hello dear... First off, here is some information on Fluoride and the dangers...

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/toxicchemicalsan/a/flouride.htm

and one thing I greatly want to point out is this: "studies attempting to document the effectiveness of fluoride have been conducted. Dr. John Yiamouyiannis examined the raw data from a large study that was conducted by the National Institute for Dental Research (NIDR). He concluded that fluoride did not appear to have any decay preventing success"

In other words, there is no point in trying to poison children just to prevent tooth decay...

Secondly, go with your gut. This is your child and you're child's health. If you aren't comfortable with something, don't do it. PERIOD!

Not only do we use Fluoride free toothpaste, but we also refuse all fluoride treatments at the dentist... Let them call CPS, there is NOTHING they can do! It is NOT illegal to deny a child fluoride!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:07 PM on May. 23, 2010