How to get out of my lease because I found mold

I found mold in different parts of my home. when I confonted my landlady about it she said she had the home checked and it wasnt mold. It clearly is. Now that it's getting warmer, I can smell the dampness. I have fully inspected the home and found where it appears to have had water damange and was poorly covered up. I went to a friends for a week and when we came home you could smell it. I just want out of my lease. My kids have been getting sick and we try to stay with other ppl whenever possible. What should I do so I can legally leave?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on May. 23, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Take pics and talk to a lawyer. I'm not sure what your state laws are but I had a similar problem and I sent my landlord a certified letter stating that the house was not longer habitable and that I wanted out of my lease. he refused and I took him to small claims court to break the lease and it was granted. Good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Thank you. I will try that. Were not by any means wealthy, but I am trying to do what I can. It seems I can almost smell it coming from the vents when tthe ac is on. I live in texas, and its humid here, which seems to make it worse. We dont stay here often at all because of it, I just want to leave with nothing on my record. Is there any bbb for landlords or anything I can report her to? I would feel so bad if someone else moved here after me with their small children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Go to  http://portal.hud.gov/portal/page/portal/HUD   You should be able to find all sorts of info on there. Especially in the landlord/tenants rights section. I haven't explored the site in a while, but you should be able to find an attorney in your area that can help you.. Good luck!

Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 1:26 AM on May. 23, 2010

• If she really did have it tested demand to see the papers stating that it was non toxic. If she does not produce the papers, demand that the mold be tested, if she refuses then tell her you will hire a lawyer. You may want to contact your nearest health department and tell them what is going on, they may have better advice then we can give. They shoudl be able to direct you to somone who knows what to do in these situations and the laws that protect renters. mold can be dangerous.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:27 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Sorry, they made so many changes to that HUD site. Here's a better one...   http://www.oag.state.tx.us/consumer/tenants.shtml

Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 1:32 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Thank you all so very much for giving me some ideas. Looks like Im making some phone calls on monday!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Being a landlord she either has to produce papers to you proving it is not a health hazard or you can hire a lawyer and try to get out of your lease. You may also ask about getting compensated for any health related issues like doc appointments and stuff that are related to the mold.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Check your local Tenant/Landlord Act. It's probably online. It should tell you what you can do. I know they have to either fix it or let you out of your lease. My landlord gutted my apt and rebuilt it with greenboard and mold proof materials.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:40 PM on May. 23, 2010

• I can't add anything else the others haven't already covered, but I'll wish you luck. I don't think you'll have a hard time getting out of that lease if it IS mold, that's for sure :)
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 8:58 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Every house I have ever lived in straight up had a section on my lease about mold. I am required to report mold to my landlord within 24 hours of finding it. Here where I live, they are very big on getting rid of it or pretty much making you move out.
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:22 PM on May. 24, 2010