At what age can I get my daughter's ears peirced?

My daughter is 5 mos old. I was thinking about getting her ears done around 6 mos or so. I was 8 mos old when I got mine done and never had any problems.... same with my little sister. I was wondering if there were any laws about age, or if I can take her whenever I am ready?!

livn4hevn

Asked by livn4hevn at 1:43 AM on May. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i got my daughters done at 9 months but i have seen tiny babies with earings call where you want them done and see how old
    my daughter only cried for a few minutes and hasn't had any problems since-besides me not changing them enough..
    paula405

Answer by paula405 at 5:24 AM on May. 23, 2010

• 3 months after her vaccinations, maybe its 3.5! have fun with her screaming! My daughter LOVES her earrings now. i would say she has over 100 pairs and wears three a day, at the least. So worth it. Especially if your little girl has no hair, helps strangers distiguish lol!
    smilelovesmile

Answer by smilelovesmile at 1:47 AM on May. 23, 2010

• lol i mean 3 months, she will have ahd her vaccinations by then not like three months later. hope i didnt confuse you
    smilelovesmile

Answer by smilelovesmile at 1:48 AM on May. 23, 2010

• It must depend on where you are from i was told six months when i took my dd at three mths to get them done and you have to have two people to sign.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I think it depends on location b/c I know ppl who have done it as early as 6wks
    bandrplus2

Answer by bandrplus2 at 2:01 AM on May. 23, 2010

• oh yeah a doctor can pierce their ears! i didnt go to a doc but my doc did ask if i had them done at my previous phycisians office
    smilelovesmile

Answer by smilelovesmile at 2:27 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I'm waiting till she's old enough to take care of em herself, I didn't get mine pierced till I was 20. The nurse @ my peds office told me if I did want to get them done while she's young to get them pierced @ the mall. The gun's cleaner (not sitting around where it's getting coughed on) & they have 2 so they can do both ears @ once. Also, their supply of earrings gets switched more frequently bc they're doing more piercings. The dr isn't that experienced @ piercings. Hope this helped!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 7:01 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I would wait until the child can decide on her own. We, as caregivers, continually tell our children to respect their bodies and that NOONE is to touch their body. YET some send mix messages by ignoring the fact that the body is THEIR temple and appease the caregivers own sense of "style" by putting holes in their body WITHOUT consent.  Why not wait and have an amazing "girls day out" when she is old enough to decide on her own about her OWN body?  By piercing now you are taking away an amazing experience for both of you.  When we are children we are given very little control and say over things and to allow them to be in charge of something as simple as getting their ears pierced can be very empowering and definitely reiterates the point that it is her body and she (& only she) is in control and needs to take care of her temple.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:49 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Here is my answer before reading any replies. Most traditional piercing places require the first set of shots to be done, particularly the TDaP. IMO, you should wait until the child chooses it for themselves. I understand that not everyone feels the same way that I do so, I offer this advice: No matter the age, go to a LICENSED piercer, one that uses a needle rather then a gun. They DO NOT require vaccination records, and quite frankly, I wouldn't trust anyone who DID require them.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:59 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I've seen little bitty babies getting their ears done so I honestly do not know. I know my peds office offers it, but they charge like 60$. But i think you can do it when she's old enough to tell you she wants it done :)
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 10:39 AM on May. 23, 2010