13 year old english bulldog with an ingrown nail.....

i have been left with my brother's 13 year old english bulldog. hes not in the best health to begin with, as you can imagine for a purebred english at that age, with all their usual complications. i have noticed the past couple of days him beginning to chew and lick his right rear paw, and when he was sleeping, got up close and saw that one of his nails has completely curved around and grown into the bottom of the pad of his paw. its not "stuck" in there, so to speak, its loose, but it has irritated his paw to the point that im sure an infection is going to happen, not to mention the pain he must be in. we are new in town and dont know anyone to come over and help my husband hold him down. does anyone know of any household anything that could be used to make the dog drowsy or knocked out (for lack of a better term) so i can cut this nail off and treat the wound? we have absolutely no money for a vet trip....CONT....

jeanniegirl82

Asked by jeanniegirl82 at 3:05 AM on May. 23, 2010 in Pets

• I don't have any advice for you - I just wanted to say how sorry I am that the dog has a problem. I also owned an English Bulldog - which I paid DARN good money for from a reputable breeder in Miami, FL. I had to put him down on Christmas Eve 3 months before his 1st birthday. He was so inbred and had so many congenital defects. He was crying in pain all the time and it was the worst thing ever. I do agree with the first poster - maybe distracting him with a gooey goody will keep him pre-occupied for a minute or 2. Your DH can try holding him down while you do what needs to be done. Good Luck.
    Anonymous

• ...CONT... as we just moved here and my husband has just started work, we are completely broke. i was a vet assistant years ago, and after that i have nursing experience in wound treatment, so i feel confident i can treat the wound with no problem, if i can just keep the dog from biting my hands off! his neck is as big around as my husbands thigh! for one so old, he is extremely strong!! I am so mad at my brother right now, i could kill him. i would never own an english bulldog for the cost of their inbred health reasons alone, ya know? and i have no idea what i can use to get this job done. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. just please do not tell me to take him to the vet, as it it financially, totally out of the question right now. thank you all. and bashers, go ahead and bash, cuz i really dont care! :)
    jeanniegirl82

Answer by jeanniegirl82 at 3:09 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Get a wooden spoon, or a fork or a whatever...slather some peanut butter on it. I mean slather...thick layer of the stuff.

Give him the peanut butter to lick while you attempt to get a the nail.

Tweezers might help to get to it but they might poke him and make it worse.

If its too complicated to work call a vet and tell them your situation, most vets now will be willing to work on a payment plan. Especially if you tell them you just moved, the dog is a senior and what breed he is.

As a side note not all English Bullys are inbred. If he got the dog from a reputable breeder chances are he was linebred which makes a difference.

Good Luck!
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:13 AM on May. 23, 2010

• BUT he needs to see a vet.YOU can cause him MORE damage then good :/ Check out Ehow.com.

and here..just in case....
    http://www.embracepetinsurance.com/insurance-for-pets/dog-insurance.aspx
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 1:34 PM on May. 23, 2010

• I would use wire cutters to cut the nail & remove it from the paw. Use peroxide to clean the wound and dress it with bag balm.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 2:02 PM on May. 23, 2010

• i managed to find a groomer who was willing to clip all of his nails, including the ingrown one for 8 bucks! she actually told me she had seen a lot worse, which i couldnt believe. i got advice from a breeder and she said i could soak his feet in epsom salt in a shallow bath when i give him his regular bath. he already seems to be feeling better. ive never owned a dog that needed grooming , and i did not know they had tables where the leash hooks up and prevents them from moving around like that. add a muzzle and he was good to go and she got it done in 5 minutes. i have no idea this dogs medical or breeding history, but he has to come from a healthy line if hes 13, the breeder i spoke to told me its unusual for an english to live past 10 without serious problems, and he gets aroung fairly well for a fat old man with cataracts! he even plays with my golden retriever and my basset mix. thanks to all for the advice!
    jeanniegirl82

Answer by jeanniegirl82 at 11:37 AM on May. 24, 2010