Anybody Indian or know someone of Indian culture? No bashing!

I have an online friend whom I met not too long ago on FB who's from India. So far his been pretty open about everything and I do mean everything. He's told me his married has a kid and where he lives and what he does for a living etc.etc. But right now his working in Singapore, he travels a lot due to his job. Well on one of our chats, he asked me what was my fav. color and I told him. Then he's telling me that once he gets back to India his going to send me a Saree in my fav, color. I told him NOT to. He insist.

Well, all this time I've been wondering and searching the Indian culture/traditions. Looking up the Meaning or significance of some kind if there's any, for an Indian man to give a woman a gift such as a Saree.

You know, since in different cultures giving gifts to someone else has different meanings. So I don't want to be disrespectful to him, but I also don't want trouble; if it means something else. You know??

lilhandswonder0

Asked by lilhandswonder0 at 3:19 AM on May. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Do you feel there could be a possible relationship for you two? I just want to caution you about possibly being "unequally yoked". Most Indians are Hindu, is that something you could handle? They are quite different in their customs and beliefs and you may experience cultural shock if you were to become involved with him. If you're a western woman and possible with a belief in God, this would most likely be something you'd really want to make sure about before jumping into anything with him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:27 AM on May. 23, 2010

• It means that he's paying way too much attention to you! Ask him if his wife is okay w/ him sending you such an elaborate gift, especially since shipping alone's gonna be ridiculous! Sounds to me like he likes you & is trying to show you, I'd stop talking to him as frequently.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 6:51 AM on May. 23, 2010

• He is sending you a Sari from India? Or from a shop on Devon in Chicago? Honestly, Indians living in the US send saris to India because the quality is better.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:28 AM on May. 23, 2010