Are there any laws about this? Or anything we can do?

We have an 8 foot tall block wall seperating our backyard from our neighbors. We have caught our next door neighbor looking over our back wall on several occasions. Our bedroom window looks out on the backyard. He apparently has been gossiping to neighbors about what we have in our back yard (toys, bikes, etc).
He told our other neighbor that he is calling the humane society on us because we leave our dog in the backyard when we leave the house. The dog has food, water, toys, and even his own room to go in and out of that is part of our house with a bed. Plus, the dog is only left outside a couple of hours tops since I am a SAHM. Anyways our other neighbor gave us a heads up about this neighbor's snooping.

Is there anything we can do about him looking over the wall? Technically he is not trespassing. Talking to this guy was a no go. He is an a**

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 AM on May. 23, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Well if he does report you, you can get him for false reporting. Leaving your dog outside is not a crime, leaving your dog outside in bad conditions with no food water and completely ignored to the point they are sick is a crime so it sounds like your safe there. You could however call the police department and ask what you can do about a neighbor who looks over the wall into you bedroom, how do you know he isnt? right? I would also document when you see him, dates and times. This way you have something to back up your story that he is harrassing you.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:44 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I have a peeping tom & got sick of it so I got some bamboo fence, stapled it onto the existing fence but higher so it raised the height of my fence by 2 feet. Then I hung painter's canvas on the inside to make it so you can't see thru it @ all, also doesn't reflect heat & is a neutral color, strong enough to stand up to rain & sun. Since its on the inside of my fence the HOA can't say anything! If you don't wanna do this then do the same back to him! Get a ladder & look on his side & loudly describe things for your hubby or friends. If he's on his property there's really nothing legally you can do. Annoy the shit outta him back, when he figures out what it feels like then maybe he'll stop.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 7:36 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I would go one step further. Call the local humane society/ animal control and just check on the laws in your community to see if you are well within them with your dog. Ask "good" neighbors about how much the dog barks too. If you aren't home the guy could say the dog barks all the time or something.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on May. 23, 2010

• What a idiot! Now you need to put up a "NO TRESSPASSING" sign to keep him off your property. Don't you hate those nosy, annoying neighbors? I have a few on my street as well. Your dog is fine. We keep our dog outside in the backyard too, but we bring him in before it get dark because I live in a heavily wooded area, and we have spotted a fox running around throughout the woods. Go on and put up that no tresspassing sign because eventually he will get the nerve to come into your yard. If he's doing that when you're home, no telling what he does when you leave, but I do applaud your neighbor who gave you heads up.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 10:20 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I would make a big sign that said HI TOM (or whatever his name is)! NOSY MUCH? and hang it on the back of my house for few days.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:53 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I'd look up stalking laws
    I would also call the police and file a report just to have it on record. Then, each time you do catch him looking over your fence, call and file another report.
    I'd also go a step further and say I was concerned that he might be trying to spy on my children when they came outside to play.
    And if your bedroom window faces that way as well, that he might also be trying to spy in on you during the day since you are a SAHM mom home alone during the day. I would totally play up the situation to the point I wasn't saying he was doing it, but that I was afraid he MIGHT be doing it..

We had a situation in our neighborhood between 2 neighbors like this and eventually the one neighbor had the "spying", "stalking" neighbor thrown in jail and he has been there for over a year now.

Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 11:54 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Get over it. That's stupid anyway.
    Anonymous

• The anonymous people are the ones who always have the rude comments, and too cowardly to submit the post with the right screen name. It is not stupid for her to do what she can to protect her privacy.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 2:04 PM on May. 23, 2010

• There are peeping tom laws in most areas, so you should call the police and report the guy for looking in your window. Taking a picture or videoing the guy everytime he peeks over the wall into your yard may be helpful, too, especially if there is a time/date stamp on the photo/video.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:30 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Call the police and report him, and then set up a video camera to catch him in the act. I like the suggestion of extending your fence as well.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:30 PM on May. 31, 2010