So do you think you can give your child a cookie and still be a good parent?

Or any kind of sugary snack? I'm not talking cookies and soda all freakin day, I'm talking about two a day. I understand the obesity rate in children are high, but you can't stop other healthy, normal weight children from eating a cookie or two just because other kids' parents are irresponsible and stuff their children like little piggies.

So do you think giving your children snacks that might be a little sugary is wrong? Or

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 AM on May. 23, 2010 in Food & Drink

• No its not wrong, my children eat very healthy the majority of the time. On weekends we do a movie night some times its popcorn, sometimes i make cookies, sometimes we do homemade pizza. I think a treat now and then is just fine, but feeding it to your child everyday is a bit much. It really needs to be a treat. I love cheescake and brownies but i wouldnt have a piece every night its a treat i have once ina great while. I teach my kids moderation, I am sure if i offered it every day they would take it but i dont because it just isnt a habit i want to start in my house.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:40 AM on May. 23, 2010

• nope, my kids eat healthy most of the time and occasionally have food that would make Oprah turn green. I cook at home 29 days out of thirty so if we have takeaway sometimes, I don't feel bad. I bake every weekend and we have cookies and muffins for lunch bags. I figure anything home baked with flour, sugar and butter has got to be better than all those commercially produced school snacks - if there is apple puree and a nut crumble on top of a homebaked muffin - how can that be bad thing?
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 3:49 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Here is my theory on childhood obesity.  A school aged child who eats at school for meals offered such as breakfast and lunch eats 10 meals at school and eats 1 meal at home during the week.  They eat 6 meals at home on the weekend, that's a total of 10 meals at school and 11 meals at home.  So a child who eats only half their meals at home.  Another thing is the chemicals in the food they eat wanywhere, home, school, resturants, ect.  With growth hormones given to cattle and chickens we consume God knows what between eggs, milk, steak, burger meat, chicken fingers it's no wander the U.S. is at the top of the obesity list and ever noticed girls are getting their periods earlier.     

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35315651/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:59 AM on May. 23, 2010

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqRJz0uAV9Y

A good parent doesn't give junk.  Junj isn't a treat it is a detriment to the body.  Most people put junk on a peda stall and think its ok once in a while..I think if we view junk as treats we will always be hooked.

keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:27 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Nope, my dd gets crap every once in a while, how am I supposed to tell her she can't have any potato chips while I stuff my face w/ em during the basketball game! Usually we eat really healthy but every once in a while I want the stuff we're not supposed to have. I think its about moderation, if you give too much you have health problems, too little & it becomes a big deal that they're more likely to overinduldge in when they get the chance. Also figure she's gonna get it @ friends houses, can't control what she sneaks over there!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 6:49 AM on May. 23, 2010

• heres the thing. why eat crap like that with no nutritional value when you can give them a bowl of fruit which tastes better, is just as sweet, and is better for your body/health. no it doesn't make you a bad parent but personally junk like that is useless, no one needs it and healthy food just tastes better
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 6:50 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I keep cookie dough (home made, organic, whole wheat, etc.) in the freezer. Once or twice a week, I bake us each a couple of cookies in the toaster oven. There is nothing like a hot, fresh, homemade chocolate chip cookie!

Answer by rkoloms at 7:30 AM on May. 23, 2010

• aliishott2: Personally, Idon't think fruit tastes better than a cookie.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 7:45 AM on May. 23, 2010

• did we all have homemade cookies when we were children
    i did
    my mom makes the best cookies still to this day-do not even try to tell me that your mom makes better cookies, you can not top my moms cookies :)
    we all turned out ok
    i am not obese

there is so much harmful things in life, a cookie is not one of them
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:25 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I try not to feed my kid sugar. Not for the health effect, but for the sheer spiderman-like qualities he gets from sugar. I will give him a bite of chocolate every now and then. I will also give him cake on his birthday, and a treat on Christmas, halloween, easter, etc. I don't let him eat potato chip, but I know that my hamburger helper and other quick meals aren't that healthy either.

What's next....no kool-aid?
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 8:33 AM on May. 23, 2010