Is this considered fraud?

My husband was ordered in divorce decree (from ex wife) that he was 100% responsible for paying for his children's education. Now all his kids are getting default notices in the mail because he took out student loans in their names without them knowing. He forged their names to get the loans. So now his kids have poor credit ratings. So even though they went to the school they should have been in his name. Not the kids. His kids won't talk to him now and the ex wife is taking him to court because he did not follow the divorce degree. What will happen..?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:16 AM on May. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• Yes, it's fraud. You cannot take a loan out in someone else's name.

He needs a lawyer, stat. What will happen depends on your state's laws and the judge. Expect a lot of money to come out of your pockets.

And quite frankly, check your own credit to make sure he didn't pull the same stunt on YOU. A man who's dishonest enough to cheat his own children WILL do it to a wife.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:29 AM on May. 23, 2010

• What an asshole!!! There are so many kids now who are finding out they have bad credit bc their parents went & did some bullshit like this. Thanks to your hubby they will have to spend thousands of hours trying to convince the credit bureaus & the creditors they weren't the ones that accumulated the debt. Its the same thing as taking a credit card out in their name, of course its fraud! End result will be hubby will now be responsible for these debts AS HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN FROM THE BEGINNING!!!! 100% responsible for their school didn't mean figure out a way to keep it out of your name & put it on the kids! Agree w/ pp, I'd check my own credit report & put an alert on it too!!!!

Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 6:44 AM on May. 23, 2010

• fraud
    identity theft
    forgery
    lying
    stealing

sounds like father of the year *insert sarcasm*

He deserves whatever happens to him. This takes the term 'deadbeat dad' to a whole new level!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:02 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I know....Fraud...I am so embarrassed. I have checked my credit. It is fine for now. I am very upset. I have found out he has lied about a lot of things...We have not been married long....I think I want out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:06 AM on May. 23, 2010

• i would get out. if he is dishonest enough to do this to his own kids, can you trust him like a wife should trust her husband? i just put my SO of almost 3 yrs out a month ago because of his lying. no trust, no relationship.
    inkydorei

Answer by inkydorei at 7:08 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Yea, time to get out! Sorry sweetie but if he's lying about this....either he's lying about other stuff or its only a matter of time before he screws you over too! Some guys are good con men, get out before he screws up your life too! My parents had their identity stolen years ago & they're still dealing w/ it, if he screws up your credit its gonna screw up your whole life. Sorry hun, time to leave! Also, if he commits fraud while you're married you can be charged as an accessory!

Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 7:10 AM on May. 23, 2010

• This is not only fraud but a whole list of felonies....

laciD

Answer by laciD at 7:16 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Yeah, sorry, it's fraud, among other things. I definitely wouldn't be able to trust him, and trust aside, I couldn't be with someone who could do something like that to his children. You are supposed to love and protect your kids; this does not fit that description. I love my SO very much, and it would take a lot for me to end the relationship, but doing something like this to our kids would definitely do it for me (he doesn't have kids from a past relationship, that's why I say our kids.).
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:17 AM on May. 23, 2010

• it is all coming together now...he always got treated me poorly if I wanted to do extra..like go out to dinner or go to an amusement park. he never understood his obsession with being a penny picher. However if it was money spent on him he was thrilled. He has said very tacky things to me and now I know why. Very good con artist. Great when we were dating now he is always on edge and complains about anything I do. he also blames everything on me even when it clearly is his fault. Yuck! I feel sick writing about it. I have not been able to sleep and my nerves are shoot. I can't believe he did this to his flesh and blood.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 AM on May. 23, 2010

• He could wind up in jail. All of your assets could be seized. Get a lawyer.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:31 AM on May. 23, 2010