How can I get my one year old to eat more food and want his bottle less?

After a week of doing great with cutting back to 2 bottles a day, one at night and one in the morning, my son has begun fussing more and refusing to eat. He's on whole milk and seems to be back to wanting 3-4 bottles a day. He eats three meals and 1 or 2 snacks each day. He used to eat pretty much anything and is now only wanting sweet foods like applesauce, yogurt, bananas, animal crackers, etc. What suggestions do you have for helping him eat more of his veggies and drinking less milk? Thanks.

Lindzh01

Asked by Lindzh01 at 7:58 AM on May. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give him a sippy cup, or a regular cup, with water when he has meals and snacks. Make sure that after you brush his teeth at night he only has water until morning. At this age, my daughter loved foods she could eat herself: avocado, tofu cubes, whole wheat pasta, steamed veggies. Give him a little dish of "dip", like soy sauce, hummus, marinara, cheese sauce, etc.

Too much dairy can do lots of damage; you are correct in cutting back on the cow milk.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:17 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I'm not sure on the "too much dairy thing". They should have 16-24oz of milk a day. Give a sippy cup as often as possible. Maybe switch out the morning bottle with a cup. i kept the night bottle until my son was 15 months. When your child is eating, do not give him anything to drink until halfway through the meal or snack. Between lunch and dinner I will only give my kid watered down juice or water, so he doesn't fill up on milk and not eat dinner. He's just a year old, it will all even out over the next couple of months.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 8:25 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I agree, start him on a sippy. It could very well be that he's THIRSTY. You don't have to give milk all the time... Some days my little one takes 3 cups of something to drink a day and other days it's more like 5 or 6.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on May. 23, 2010

• @sunshine58103, he isn't on formula..he is on whole milk.
    Kids only need 16 oz max of DAIRY, meaning cheese, yogurt, milk etc. Give him water to drink, and no more animal crackers. Set meat and veggies in front of him and fresh fruit. Water only to drink and the occasional dairy product.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:25 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Thanks for the input. We do use a sippy cup and he drinks water out it throughout the day. I'm starting to think we have a texture issue going on along with the change in tastes that some toddlers start to go through. I'll go back to pureeing the veggies more like I used to and see if this helps. Sunshine58103, my doctor said that they should have 16oz of whole milk and can then have dairy products in addition, and I think an occasional snack of animal crackers is okay. He's not demanding them or eating them at every meal. Thanks again everyone.
    Lindzh01

Answer by Lindzh01 at 3:23 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Oops, I was addressing Bradenismyson not sunshine
    Lindzh01

Answer by Lindzh01 at 3:34 PM on May. 23, 2010

• I know you've already gotten lots of advice, but I was just going to add model for him. Our DD loves to eat what we eat so we make a big production of saying that we are eating our veggies and how yummy they taste and she loves to eat them too. It may take a while, but keep offering them to him. We had to offer DD brocoli like 10 times before she liked it. Good luck!
    silvia316

Answer by silvia316 at 11:33 PM on May. 23, 2010