I do I cope with taking my kids sippy cups away from them when Im not ready for my kids to give them up even though they need to???

momtotwo249

Asked by momtotwo249 at 9:20 AM on May. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Just throw them away and get over it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on May. 23, 2010

• If you think this is hard, you are going to face worse problems as they get older. Try to pull yourself together and let them grow!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I hear you, Mama!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Either take the lids off, and turn them into regular cups, OR throw them away and tell them you can't find them! If they're thirsty enough they'll figure it out! LOL

How do your children deal in school? Do they drink from sippy cups AT school or just at home? If it's just a home thing, then get rid of the sippy cups, and move on to more important things!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:54 AM on May. 23, 2010

• "If you think this is hard, you are going to face worse problems as they get older".

I second that!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Our son is 3 y/o and I recently started going thru all the old babies' clothes. We do foster care & adopted our son thru them. I had baby clothes from NB up for both boys & girls because we've had several children. We aren't going to adopt again (soon or ever, we aren't sure which) and I also was keeping the bottles, cribs, car seats, bouncers, swings, infant toys, gates, etc. This was starting to take over 1 guest room & 4 large closets. I finally made the decision to get rid of the baby clothes, citing that WHEN (or if) we get another child, I'll just go to the store & get more, like we did before. Still, I spent several days crying over baby clothes, remembering who wore what, wondering how they are doing now (the ones who left) and really dealing with "What if there are no more?" It was emotionally heart-wrenching, but my sisters (God love them) helped & supported me thru this time. I really had a hard time with it.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:17 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I don't understand why it would "be time" to take the sippy? I can see having them use other cups when they aren't home, but at home why not? I wish my husband would use one half the time. Where is the harm? They will give them up when they are ready, and by then they will have friends to help them spill drinks all over your house. Enjoy the non-mess for as long as you can.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:19 AM on May. 23, 2010

• (con't) I have been procrastinating getting rid of these things "just in case", but what I realized is that I hadn't dealt with the emotions of loss I had for the ones who had left, and the loss of the "dream" of having more babies in our home. Your youngest is 3 y/o & you are likely having the baby bug. I know that I have here lately. I don't know what the Lord has in store for us. But dealing with these head on has made me happier & less-stressed. Our house now has the guest room back. Our son has much fewer toys (less over-whelming for all of us). 3 VAN FULLS of things are now gone. For you, it sounds like the sippies & pull-ups are all that separates your babies from being big boys. I feel your words, OP. I could be you. PM me if you need to chat. I'm a good listener. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:22 AM on May. 23, 2010

• buy disposable cups with lids, or save the plastic ones you get when you eat out, or buy cheap sports bottles you can reuse-use those instead of sippy cups.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on May. 23, 2010

• http://www.starbucksstore.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=287922 I love this BIG kid cup :)my 1 and 2 year old LOVE them and they dont really leak.If we are some I use "sippy"cups with a straw..the munchkin kind.It must have a straw or I will not use it.Im trying to get rid of all bottle type cups..Slowly..but its happening :)
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 11:07 AM on May. 23, 2010