Is it normal for a 7 month old to start not sleeping though the night?

It really isnt getting him to sleep that is the problem. It is keeping him asleep. He eats great before bed but I will have to get up 4 to 6 times a night to make him a small bottle for him to go back to sleep. It is driving me crazy. My husband get up at 4 am to go to work so I dont dear ask him for help. Any ideas on what to do?

Something_new16

Asked by Something_new16 at 9:53 AM on May. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's actually not normal for any baby to sleep "through the night" if that means more than a few hours at a stretch. So many things can make it hard for him to get back to sleep - being hungry from a growth spurt, maybe teething, or just needing a snuggle from mommy. What you do is keep getting up and feeding him if that's what he needs and he will eventually outgrow the waking up phase he's going through. You can try giving him a pacifier or rocking him to see if it comforts him, or letting him sleep with you so you can all get some more rest. People will probably tell you to let him CIO to train him to fall asleep alone, and I think that's terrible advice. At his age he obviously can't tell you what's wrong, but if a middle of the night feeding is what makes him feel better, I say do it and know that just like any other milestone, he'll sleep better when he's ready to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Yup, your giving him to many bottles . You need to cut back . One JUST before bed (after a bath) that helps sooth and keep them comfy(I think). Oh & put cereal (rice)IN THAT BED-TIME BOTTLE, AT 1ST MAYBE BOTTLE IN THE MIDDLE OF HIS SLEEP PATTERN(THE ONE you WOULD LIKE HIM TO HAVE) AND STICK TO IT, THEN GIVE HIM ONE AS SOON AS HE WAKES IN THE AM.hE MIGHT WAKE-UP INBETWEEN FEEDINGS BUT HE will GO BACK TO SLEEP.hAVE PATIENTS.I hit my cap button. Good-Luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on May. 23, 2010

• My son didnt sleep through the night until he was 2. We were not going to have anymore for that reason but now I have two wonderfully sleeping boys.
    momluja

Answer by momluja at 10:05 AM on May. 23, 2010

• The not sleeping through the night is totally normal. As for the bottles.... sounds like he's using them for comfort but then again, all babies are different. I mean, not all grown ups are hungry at the same time of day right? Heck some of us even get up for midnight snacks. Mine didn't eat like that in the middle of the night. Our first took a pacifier and our second sucked his thumb for comfort. Sorry, I don't have any advice here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on May. 23, 2010

• mine was 4 before he slept through the night......now it's fab!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Cereal should NEVER be put in a bottle. It does not make them sleep better, it can even cause an upset tummy and make them feel too full & bloated to sleep well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on May. 23, 2010

• If it's really just a small bottle he's probably just using it for comfort to get back to sleep, not because he's hungry. I would try getting him back to sleep without giving him the bottle - he's used to waking up to "top off his tummy" so to speak. If you get him used to going without the bottle at night, he's likely to just sleep through. (I am not advocating not feeding a baby who is truly hungry, but to me that doesn't sound like that's the case)

Answer by missanc at 11:17 AM on May. 23, 2010

• It's normal for babies to nurse at night. If you aren't breastfeeding that means making bottles. It's hardwired in human childrens' brains to breastfeed, nurse at night, and to sleep with their mothers. Humans have done it for all time and still do it in most of the world. It's how humans have survived. It's normal for children to not sleep through the night until they are 3 or older. My three sons all started sleeping through the night when they were around 3.

Children can be forced to sleep through the night when they are younger but we aren't sure of the long term consequences.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:22 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Is he teething? Teething can make a baby who otherwise was a good sleeper start waking up in the middle of the night. Is he drinking the bottle or chewing on it?
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:38 AM on May. 23, 2010

• * HotMama330

HotMa...
    Is he teething? Teething can make a baby who otherwise was a good sleeper start waking up in the middle of the night. Is he drinking the bottle or chewing on it?

I was thinking that too. My son started this around the same age. Check the gums. My mom and mil noticed it even after my former doc denied it.
    saltycoqui

Answer by saltycoqui at 11:43 AM on May. 23, 2010