coffee

I brew coffee on the weekend like a half a pot and than i dont drink it all so i just leave it in the pot for three days and warm itup as i need it,is that bad or gross i dont want to throw it out or brew one cup at a time.

proudmom34

Asked by proudmom34 at 9:55 AM on May. 23, 2010 in Food & Drink

• it is kinda nasty for 3 days but why dont you put it in a sealable container in the fridge for when you need to heat it up.... or buy a keurig.. that stopped us from wasting coffee.. best money spent in our house ever!
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 10:00 AM on May. 23, 2010

• my mother in law is the same way! if i tell her the coffee is a few day's old she says she doesn't mind she pop's a cup in the microwave. my mother think's it gross she makes a fresh pot everytime but old coffee hasn't hurt my MIL ha.
    LoveKillsSlowly

Answer by LoveKillsSlowly at 10:02 AM on May. 23, 2010

• You might want to consider getting one of those smaller 4 cup coffee pots.  Either that or a thermos to put the coffee in for long term storage.

SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:03 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I've never known coffee to go bad in the pot. I don't think you have anything to worry about. I don't think I've ever had any leftover for that long but there have been times that a pot will last me 2 days. No biggie.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on May. 23, 2010

• That's disgusting. If I leave coffee in my pot, it startes growing after about 3-4 days - seriously, the grounds AND the coffee get moldy. Doesn't it smell funny or taste funny?! If I leave half a cup on the counter til the next day it stinks! I'm sorry, but yes, that is bad and that is gross. Make less, get a smaller maker, something, but don't drink 3-day-old coffee.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on May. 23, 2010

• If it's good quality coffee, I think it's ok, but some kinds taste bitter and gross after it sits for a while. I reheat sometimes, but usually only the next day so I leave it in the pot. If you put it in the fridge it might taste better when you reheat it if it's going to sit for more than 24 hours or so. I've hardle ever had coffee grow mold unless it was left in a travel mug and it had sugar added to it, but that's something to check for before you start drinking it for sure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I buy these coffee "tea" bags at Meijer. It's about 18 cents a cup, so it is my luxury, and the nice part is that you can make it as strong or weak as you want it without having to guess how many grounds to put in the pot. I started buying it because of the waste that we were pouring out of our coffee pot. :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on May. 23, 2010

• What makes coffee taste "bad" after a while isn't so much how many days past, but how long it sat on the burner with the burner on. Coffee here might last 2 days, but I don't leave it in the pot on the burner. As SOON as it's done brewing I shut off the coffee makers and transfer the coffee to thermos. The coffee pot and thermos get at least rinsed really well in between pots. Then after so many days/pots everything gets a washed with soap and water. As for the post that mention about it stinking...yes I find that to be true especially of coffee that sat on the burner for a long period of time.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:08 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Put it in the refrigerator; don't leave it sitting out to grow bacteria.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:25 PM on May. 23, 2010