the evil pacifier!

My daughter is 17 months and still has to have her "tassie" when she sleeps. She screams forever if she doesn't have it. She also wakes up in the night screaming. Is there any advice for tassie withdrawals? Or should I just throw them away so there is no turning back?

LoveKillsSlowly

Asked by LoveKillsSlowly at 9:57 AM on May. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• OMG people are so annoying on here. Your baby is only 17 months...doctors say that it is okay to let them have it until they are 3. It's just like having a blankie or a bear or something. It's their comfort and it's HEALTHY to have a comfort thing for them. I won't be taking my DD's away until she is 3. She might wean off it herself before then, who knows. She can talk perfectly with it in, she even takes it out to talk. If you take the paci away and she goes for the thumb...you can't take that away then there are BIGGER problems for her. And you. THE PACIFIER IS OKAY...Don't stress over it. Who cares what other people think.

If you REALLY want to take it away though...try weaning her off instead of just taking it away all together. LIke start with only naps or something. You could also trade it for a stuffed animal or fav toy.
    Anonymous

• On both of my kids 1st birthdays i threw all of the passys away. That way there was not temptation to give it to the. GL
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 9:59 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I let my kids have them till they were 2...then they were gone. Its just something you have to decide to do and STICK WITH IT.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:04 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Just throw them away, and don't go buy more. It might be rough for a few nights, but she'll get over it.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 10:04 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Do you know a new baby she could give them to now that she's a big girl? That worked for my dd - she was so proud that she could "help" one of the new babies in our playgroup by giving her all the pacifiers.

You could also try to wean her off it by cutting the tip off, and trimming it a little smaller every few days until eventually there is nothing to suck on and she won't want it. That was the only thing that worked for a friend of mine whose 2 yr old wouldn't give it up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Of course she needs it. It's normal for human children to be breastfeeding at this age. Breastfeeding 17 mo nurse to sleep and nurse when they wake up. If a child isn't breastfed then the child's sucking needs should be met with a pacifier.

First it's not acceptalbe to breastfeed for whatever reason then moms want to take the substitute away. Most experts agree that pacifiers cause no harm until after age 3-4 or older. Why would you want to make your child scream?

Anonymous

• Let her be, she will outgrow it on her own, just keep harping that big girls don't use them.

Answer by older at 10:08 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Anon 10:04 - the difference is that a pacifier is not good for the development of the teeth and jaw, and a toddler won't speak properly with something in the mouth all the time. Breastfeeding is better for comfort and nutrition, but the pacifier is just rubber. I support extended breastfeeding 100% (each of my kids nursed until they self weaned around 2 yrs old) but I don't think a toddler needs to have a pacifier.

I'd say take the pacis all away and comfort her by rocking or cuddling get her to sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Its kind of like my quitting smoking this weekend. I really really really want a cigarette, but I know if I hold out just a little longer the urge to smoke will pass.

Your daughter's paci with drawl is kind of the same way, (except for the physical addiction part of course!!) If you can just make it past the first few days, you'll be able to break the paci habit for good!!

Me... I'm about to die over here and I seriously want to go buy a pack of cigs and try again next week!! Breaking my DD's paci habit was a lot easier than breakin my nicotine habit.
    Anonymous

• Why would you want to make your child scream?

Oh your right anon!! You should never let your kid scream. WHAT EVER they want... you should give it to them!! No unhappy babies allowed!! Babies know best so what ever makes baby happy must be what is best for baby's development.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on May. 23, 2010