how to stop this?

My son which is 5 and his friend which is also 5 has been useing the F word and has been being mean to my daughter which is 3 i have talked to him and i sat them in time out i cant remember how many times i've taken away the games also! My son has never acted so bad! They won't listen to anything i say i'm getting so aggervated and i'm trying to keep my cool but i'm really about to lose it! please someone help me!

sweetmissa47

Asked by sweetmissa47 at 10:27 AM on May. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Making a huge scene about it will probably just make it more appealing for him to say it, because he's probably trying to get a reaction. But he should be told that it's rude and disrespectful and it's not a word that is ok for children to say. He and that friend probably need to be separated for a while, and you might need to let the friend's parents know why you don't want them playing together.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Sounds like he needs a new friend. If my son said that to anyone, his WHOLE little world would come crashing in around him and he'd wonder why he ever said it.

Mommy dont play like that! PERIOD. I dare my kids to say that in my presence!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Can I ask a question....does this little boy hear this word, either from you, his father, family members, on movies?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on May. 23, 2010

• He has heard it but he knows better and i've never heard him say it until yesterday and i talk to his friends parents about it and they said he doesn't say that t home and that he's was just trying to test me but i just couldn't believe how bad he has been acting and how mean he has been to his sister!
    sweetmissa47

Answer by sweetmissa47 at 10:57 AM on May. 23, 2010

• "He has heard it but he knows better"-quoting sweetmissa47

Isn't it a shame that the FIVE year old is supposed to KNOW BETTER than the ADULTS who.....DON'T know BETTER??? These people need to get a clue.

OP-I'd ask him where he heard it, explain that it will not be tolerated in our house, and he could go to his room ALONE if he felt the need to say that word. Ditto on being mean to sister. I'd calmly explain that he's earned some "bedroom time" until he decided that he could be nice to sister. When he comes back, tell him that you missed him & are glad that he made the better choice to come out and play nice with sister....or use good words.....or whatever. "Bedroom time" is sort of like time out, but actually it's not a punishment, but a place of relection & de-escalation. When he's "better" he can re-join the fun & others. Be consistent with this and it'll stop. As far as the other 5 y/o goes, do you babysit him?
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:07 AM on May. 23, 2010

• If he is acting up with his friend, it seems to me that he needs to lose the privilege of having his friend around the house. It is more important that they are respectful to the family than spending time with their friends. As far discipline, I have noticed with my children that if they lose something, they will either act worse or the same way. So we go through a different approach. We have family rules that the whole family came up with. For every day those rules are kept, the kids get a sticker, check, etc.. At the end of the week if every square has something in it, then those with all the squares filled will get to do something fun. We have camp outs in the living room, a late night movie, special dinner. Cheap, fun things. Sometimes my kids misbehave and don't get to do something fun, they learned quickly. Good luck, and be patient. It will pass.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 3:52 PM on May. 23, 2010