If you had the money would you start your 2 yo on karate classes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on May. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I started my son in Tae Kwon Do when he was 2 1/2. He did good and he loved and respected Master Seo. However, looking back on it now, I wish I had waited at least another year. Because of his age, he had to stay in the beginning classes much longer than the other kids. All of the other kids were moving up and he did not understand this. Also, by the time he was almost 4 he was burnt out on it and did not want to continue. He is now 5 1/2 and has asked to go back but he wants to wait until he is 6 years old before he does go back (his request). If the karate class has some sort of 2 year old class that is really not karate classes but more like just for fun classes then that would be okay. However, you know your child better than anyone else.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:51 AM on May. 23, 2010

• No, I think 2 is too young to be involved in any type of structured activity. They would probably much rather be running around doing what they want.

They have plenty of time to do those type of things in their older childhood years. Quit rushing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I don't think any start that young. Maybe 3, most start at 4, but yes I would.
    Anonymous

• If I could find a place who took children that young then YES YES YES!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I would save the money and take him when he is older, maybe at 5.

Answer by older at 10:52 AM on May. 23, 2010

• The karate schools around me don't take kids that young. If they did, I'd do it.
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 11:38 AM on May. 23, 2010

• The dojos around here dont take younger than 5yrs. 2yr olds dont have the attention span to truely get into karate properly. heck my 5yr old didnt, hence y shes no longer enrolled in classes.
    renniemom3

Answer by renniemom3 at 11:57 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I would for sure. Its basically a lot of excercising at that age and they can mever learn respect too early. I wouldn't agree to actual fighting termanents or anything like that though but to learn the basic fundamentals of a skilled martial art that young would be great.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:33 PM on May. 23, 2010

• At 2? I personally wouldn't. Both of my kids are in TaeKwonDo, and knowing what's involved, there's no way they'd have been able to do it at 2. They started at 4 and 6, and for my daughter, at 4, that was a bit early, but she's doing amazing now at nearly 7, and going for her black belt by the end of the year. My son, at almost 9, is amazing, despite the time he chose to take off, and should earn his black belt the first test of next year.

2 year olds don't have the attention span or the physical coordination to do 99% of the martial arts techniques, whether it's the fighting, the forms, or the fun stuff.

I'd wait.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 10:27 PM on May. 23, 2010