If your baby doesn't like a food

I've tried three times to give dd sweet potatoes and she just will not eat them. Two or three bites and that is it. Everything else so far she just devours (she went nuts on the pickle I let her gum on yesterday lol). So what do you when your baby seems to not like a food? do I just forget about it. Or wait awhile and try again? Or just keep trying?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on May. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sometimes you need to try a food up to 10 times before you truly know whether they like it or not. When my DD didn't want the sweet potato I made, I added a sprinkle and I mean a sprinkle of brown sugar with a tiny pat of butter and she loved it. But that was the only way for a while and then I finally nixed the sugar and we eventually made the butter go away and she still liked it. Good luck, I know feeding a temperamental baby can be hard.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:46 AM on May. 23, 2010

• How old is your baby? It's best to wait til 6 months or more to start solids. And there's no harm in waiting longer.
    Most babies will only eat a few teaspoons full of something in a sitting, even if they like it. Theis stomachs are only about the size of their fist, very small. Food is such a new experience too, and it's all experimental (learning about taste and texture) until they are much older anyway. Wait til she's a little older and try things she can pick up. Chunks of baked sweet potatoes she can feed herself are more fun and taste better than jarred stuff anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Did you try real sweet potato mashed with a fork, not yams or baby food? I wouldn't give a baby brown sugar and butter. If your baby doesn't like it now you can wait and she may like it in a few months. My toddler grandson didn't like carrots as a baby but loves orange and white carrots now.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:54 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Our doctors advice was try three times and if they still refuse it then wait a couple weeks and try again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on May. 23, 2010

• A lot of the things I've read say that it can take up to 15 times of being offered a food before a baby/toddler will like it. So I would just wait a while and keep trying.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:00 AM on May. 23, 2010

• wait a couple weeks and try again, thats all you can do.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 1:43 PM on May. 23, 2010

• I would leave it for a week and try again. If that fails wait a week and try again. If that fails id quit trying cause baby doesnt like them. lol...Heck i dont like sweet potatos so i dont balme the little one..lol...My son loves them though.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 2:20 PM on May. 23, 2010