Why do Dads want to be SAHD (stay-at-home dads)?

I asked this question to my dh he said "no way" he doesn't want to be a SAHD because of two reasons: (quoting my dh)

1.- "It's boring"

2.- "They (our children) horse around"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on May. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son is a SAHD. He is also a full time student but he does everything. All his wife does is work and breastfeed. He takes care of the toddler, shops, cleans, cooks, takes the toddler to the doctor, everything. I take care of my grandson when my son goes to class and on her days off and most of his wife's days off.

Why does he do it? She can't. She won't. She wants to work. He's good at it. He is enjoying being with his son. He is good at it. He knows he is the much better parent. She doesn't even want to be with her child on her days off.

Nice. She is your son's wife and the mother of your grandchild. Her side would be interesting to hear. As to the original question, I have seen stories of some dads who like to stay home because they want to and their wife makes more money than he could. I don't know anyone like this personally though. All the men I know or have known would not last as a SAHD.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:24 PM on May. 23, 2010

• My dad was a SAHM, and he was great at it.
    Leave your DH home with the kids for a while and let him see how "boring" it really is, lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on May. 23, 2010

• My DH loves being home all day with the kids. He's a SAHD right now and would never change it if he could. He loves being home all day to play with the kids and he does all the stuff a normal stay home parent would... He loves it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:02 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I think this is JUST like SAHMOMS. There are some who can and some who cant. My cousin was going batty within 3 days of staying at home! She was stressing her kids out and was miserable. She is now working again and EVERYONE is happier. I LOVE LOVE LOVE staying at home mom. People ask if I get bored and I think they are CRAZY! I am never stopped I have tons of stuff going on ...in house and out! BUT my hubby would lose his mind as a SAHD. Nothing would EVER get done and the kids would run wild! LOL. I really think it depends on the person and no one should think a dad that does is better or worse then a dad that doesnt...and vice versa...JUST LIKE SAHM'S!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:11 AM on May. 23, 2010

• My son is a SAHD. He is also a full time student but he does everything. All his wife does is work and breastfeed. He takes care of the toddler, shops, cleans, cooks, takes the toddler to the doctor, everything. I take care of my grandson when my son goes to class and on her days off and most of his wife's days off.  

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:14 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Gaill, that is really judgmental - "he is a much better parent" She is providing for the baby in the way she can. "All she does is work and breastfeed" really is belitting her contribution. What is she was at home with the baby? Would you say of your son "all he does is work?"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on May. 23, 2010

• My husband does it because he enjoys it more than I do. I went a little nutty being a SAHM for three years. But then he got injured and is no longer able to work. He now stays at home and does the so-called "mom" stuff and loves it. He loves playing with our daughter and it gives him time to work on projects to improve our home. He's also better than me at the cleaning stuff.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on May. 23, 2010

• lol all she does is pay for the groceries he shops for and cooks, pays the doctor bills, the home he cleans, and everything else.
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 11:44 AM on May. 23, 2010

• My SO works outside the home but if I were ready to go back to work, he would be a stay at home dad. I think he'd be really good at it to. He loves playing with the kids and is a great cook and a good house cleaner too. Not that all that other stuff besides being a great dad really matters too much to me :) but he is really good at it.
    If the time were to come for him to stay home and me to go back to work...it would work out well.
    Then again..I think theres a slight possibility that he may become depressed from not making his own money. That is a big man pride factor right there.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:30 PM on May. 23, 2010

• My husband was a SAHD when he lost his job and he loved it. Our daughter loved the time with him. Granted now we have 4 almost 5 and I stay home, but he now has a nursing degree. He loved being home with our daughter and reflects back on that time with her.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 1:40 PM on May. 23, 2010