What is emotional cheating?

I am a woman and have several male friends for years. Today I wrote a journal and some of the comments were I was emotional cheating or I should ditch the new kid because I am emotional cheating. Javier has been my friend for almost three years we are in college together and he is a game producer and i produce anime. We work well together because we have been friends for three years. We are about to make two businesses blow up work well how does this translate into emotional cheating?

pinkdragon36

Asked by pinkdragon36 at 11:08 AM on May. 23, 2010 in Relationships

• Emotional cheating is when you are thinking about having an affair but do not follow through, or when you fantasize about someone else while in a committed relationship. Your situation doesn't add up to that.

Answer by older at 11:16 AM on May. 23, 2010

• Emotional cheating is when you are giving emotions that should be given to your spouse/SO to someone else. A business partner, a friend, a fellow student/co-worker COULD be an emotional affair, if you are constantly thinking about them, fantasizing about them, wanting to be with them, thinking of cheating with them, or hiding the relationship from your spouse/SO. What you describe here does not sound to me like emotional cheating. Honestly, my boyfriend and I have a really simple rule: If I wouldn't want him to know, it's cheating, and same goes for if he wouldn't want me to know. It keeps you much more honest, b/c you can twist a definition to fit your desires, but you can't twist that.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:33 AM on May. 23, 2010

• It me emotional cheatting is when you are in a relationship. And you spend more time with another person then your SO. That is in general. You neglect your SO in every way execpt for sex.

Answer by louise2 at 11:40 AM on May. 23, 2010

• He knows about Javier and he does not care. I go to the movies and out to dinner with him once a month. I take SO out every week and he reciprocates.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:00 PM on May. 23, 2010

• It's up to you, you are a big girl & do no the difference it's what you are willing to admit to yourself.Why ask????????
    Anonymous

• What u discribed in your ? does not appear to b emotional cheating to me.
    emily1234

Answer by emily1234 at 12:11 PM on May. 23, 2010

• I do not believe that being friends is emotional cheating. Emotional cheating would be when you are in a committed relationship and the other person is in a committed relationship and you turn to each other for comfort and guidance instead of turning to the people with whom you two are in relationships.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:03 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Ok, some people I think get a little confused by what emotional cheating really is. I can tell you from experience exactly what emotional cheating really is. It is thinking constantly about the other person, it is about placing them first before your spouse or SO (even though you do not have a true 'affair' with them), it is putting the other person's needs and their kids' needs above your SO or spouse's needs and your own kids' needs (my dh did this a few years ago).

What emotional cheating is NOT is friendship. It may appear to one or both parties as only friendship, but it is much, much more than that. You can be friends with another man just like you can be friends with a woman and not have it interfere with your relationship with your SO. When you start putting the other person's needs ahead of your SO's is when you are cheating emotionally (which you are not).
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 3:30 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Emotional cheating is when you become romantically involved with someone else in every way except sexual.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:39 PM on May. 23, 2010

• emotional cheating to me is being emotionally intimate with someone that is not your partner - there is a big difference between friendship and cheating. in order for a relationship to thrive there are some things that should be shared only with your partner, and your relationship should be your first priority - this really only applies to marriage or long-term relationships with commitment. i really hate it when people don't understand that men and women can be truly friends, and just friends, without sexual tension - it is possible if both parties have integrity. basically the gauge is if you are sharing things with this person that you don't share with your partner, if your partner would be (reasonably) hurt if s/he overheard conversations you have with this person, if you are acting different than you would any other friend, etc. you may be emotionally cheating. you know what your true feelings are. tell the haters F off
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 4:30 PM on May. 23, 2010