Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone know how I can get counseling that is free of charge for marriages...or greatly reduced!

I am having issues in our marriage and it is basically a very happy marriage with areas that need to be dealt with. I admit I am not good at communicating and I create a high anxiety for myself a lot of times that I can not help. These problems if not dealt with will affect our marriage and I want to prevent this from happening. I do have a just right to be concerned with many of the issues...even though I may build them up a bit. I do not know where to turn...


Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on May. 23, 2010 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • If you have medicaid, they will pay for it. Go to your regular doctor and ask for a refferal.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on May. 23, 2010

  • all church's provide free marriage counceling...atleast in TN the do.

    Answer by beachbabewdj08 at 11:19 AM on May. 23, 2010

  • Your church, a university's psychology department, children's service society. Many private LCSW's offer discounted rates. Ask about sliding fee scales.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:22 AM on May. 23, 2010

  • I was going to say the same as the others. Your Church provides regular marriage counseling and Marriage Retreats that are free or they'll request a donation to the church for these services.

    Answer by LoriKeet at 11:27 AM on May. 23, 2010

  • It's not free at all churches. If you are going to church based counseling you need to check the qualification of the person doing the counseling. At a university psychology dept you have students doing the counseling. Usually not a good idea. It's usually students that are supervised by other students. I wouldn't recommend church based or university counseling center counseling.

    Your public library should have handouts about services available in your community. There should be community counseling agencies with licensed professionals that charge on a sliding fee schedule. Sometimes there are waiting lists.


    Answer by Gailll at 11:30 AM on May. 23, 2010

  • I would call counseling centers and ask if they have a sliding fee scale. One place I used to work at had one, it was based on income and # of people in the house. If you are a church member you should ask the clergy if they do counseling.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on May. 23, 2010

  • I'm in the same boat....Thank you for asking...I need the answers too.

    Answer by sunshine58103 at 12:22 PM on May. 23, 2010

  • My church provides free counseling at "approved" agencies. It is not done by the clergy at the church, who do not have degrees in psychology. I went to one of their suggested agencies when I was having problems with my marriage and the therapist was extremely helpful (my marriage still ended, at her suggestion [ my ex was controlling and stated very clearly that he would not change] but she helped me get my life in order)

    Answer by missanc at 12:24 PM on May. 23, 2010

  • readingYou could try going to the library and reading some of the great books written by marriage counselors. I read a good one by Gary Smalley not long ago. It was For Better or for Best. It's not a long read and it's in chapters where you can read the chapters that pertain to your issues.


    Answer by admckenzie at 3:00 PM on May. 23, 2010

  • it's very wise of you to be aware of these things and seek help in addressing them before they do start creating marital problems which in turn make communication and problem solving more difficult. there are a variety of organizations that provide free/reduced fee counseling. if you have health insurance, see if you have an EAP (employee assistance plan) - generally 3-8 visits are free for counseling. united way can provide a number of organizational contacts to try - call *211. i personally found reduced-free counseling through catholic charities of america - and i am far from catholic. you may also take a look at local resources such as county mental health board - look for links for free classes, support groups, etc.

    Answer by figaro8895 at 4:13 PM on May. 23, 2010