Breastfeeding

I am breastfeeding my youngest and I had a couple of periods and wondering if your period can be messed up by breastfeeding and can skip some months??
Is it different each child??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on May. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It's different for every woman, but breastfeeding can make periods irregular. You may get it back right away, or it may not come back til you wean fully. Also, you may or may not ovulate even if you have a period while you are still nursing. It's not a super-reliable method of birth control, so if you don't want to be pregnant again immediately, talk to your dr or midwife about bc. If you've been having sex without protection, take a test.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on May. 23, 2010

• The World Health Org recommends waiting 3 years before ttc. You can use breastfeeding with other methods to space babies but it's not reliable by itself.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:24 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I am currently breastfeeding a 4 month old and have had 2 normal periods and 2 episodes of light spotting. It just depends but your periods won't likely be completely normal until you wean, but don't rely on it as your sole means of birth control, it is not effective alone!
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:39 PM on May. 23, 2010

• I breastfed. I started getting periods again when my daughter was six weeks old. At 35, I finally had a 28 day cycle.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:34 PM on May. 23, 2010