Toddlers and breastfeeding...?

I have a "different" kind of question. I never breastfed my oldest, but I did and still am breastfeeding the baby. My oldest is 2 1/2 and has seen me feeding the baby just about every time. So my 2yo just leaned over and tried to suckle on my breast like the baby does. I said "no, boobies are for babies" and that was the end of it.
What would you have done/ or do in this situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on May. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have done the same thing. My dd weaned during my pregnancy with her little sister, and I was glad because I wasn't sure tandem nursing was my thing. She asked if she could nurse, and I just asked her if she was a baby. She laughed and said no, and that was the end of it.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 11:26 AM on May. 23, 2010

• I wouldn't call it boobies and I wouldn't say breastfeeding is for babies. The World Health Org recommends breastfeeding until at least age 2 for all children. My kids were all nursing well beyond age 2.5.

I called breasts and breastfeeding something that I wouldn'd mind my child saying in public from the beginning. With my toddler grandson we call it magic milky. Magic because my son and I wish we had some. It is so much harder to take care of a baby/toddler when you can't breastfeed. I don't know why anyone would actuallly choose not to breastfeed.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:08 PM on May. 23, 2010

• i still breastfeed my baby and she is 20 months. would not have it any other way.
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 12:58 PM on May. 23, 2010

• I would have let the 2 y/o go to town. It is good for them.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:15 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Well, my 2.5 year old was still nursing when my second was a baby so I would have let him nurse ;p)
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 1:25 PM on May. 23, 2010

• I think you ladies are missing the point. The 2yo was NEVER breastfed therefore would not know how to latch properly and could risk hurting me or biting me. I really don't give a hoot what you do with your child but I think 2.5 is too old to be nursing. I asked for advice, not a lecture on how I should have BF'd my child. My child is happy and healthy and that is what counts.
    Anonymous

• OP: I think you handled it the best way you could at the time. You had to come up with a spur of the moment answer so he understood. If he continues to ask questions explain to him that he has his milk but this milk is for baby and she can't have his milk. It may help
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 3:50 PM on May. 23, 2010

• I would have said "my body makes milk for your baby brother/sister because that's what he/she needs. What kind of milk do you drink?" (just strike up a conversation... He can say milk in a cup, or cow's milk, or whatever it is he drinks. If the question comes up about whether he got milk as a baby, you can be honest... "Some babies drink mommy's milk, some drink milk from a bottle"... I also wouldn't suggest saying that breastmilk is only for babies, because it's not, and even if it is for you, you never know how long you'll nurse. Personally, I don't like the word boobies or boobs either, it kinda makes my skin crawl, but I don't suppose that's what this question was actually about...

My older child also tried to latch on once... she had weaned herself when I was pregnant with #2, some 6 months earlier than she tried this... it wasn't a big deal, I let her try for a sec, she wasn't really interested anyway, just curious.
    Anonymous

• I would have let the 2yr. old try. Most likely, they would have tried once and that would've been it. With my oldest, he was only breastfed for six months. I had my second when he was 3yrs. old and he too, wanted to try. I let him, but all he did was put his mouth sort of near my breast (not actually on it) and laugh. LOL. That was that. My second nursed until he was almost three, and my third nursed until he was a little over 2yrs.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 4:05 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Boobies? Do you use silly names for all body parts, or just the ones that embarass you?
    Anonymous