How to travel with a fish?

We're moving 1400 miles away via car drive. How do I safely transport my male betta? I don't want his bowl to fall and break or for him or his water to spill over during a turn. Are there any tips or products for fish on the road? I was thinking of putting him in a plastic bag and tying it to my rear view mirror so he can't fall or get hit. Is that practical? Any better ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on May. 23, 2010 in Pets

• Find your fish a new home.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:19 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Betta fish!?lol They cost like 3 bucks...Find him a new home.The drive will not be fun for him swishing around and will cause him stress.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 1:29 PM on May. 23, 2010

• I agree with the others. Give him away to a neighbor's child, and when you get to your destination, get another one! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:12 PM on May. 23, 2010

• I would probably just get a new fish but I found this
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2175656_travel-fish.html
    It gives detailed instructions on how to transport a fish.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 2:19 PM on May. 23, 2010

• I can't believe you are considering traveling with a fish. Give it away.
    Anonymous

• Get a container with a lid (something tight fitting!), preferably a plastic one, and punch some small holes in the lid. Put him in a safe place within arms reach of the driver's seat (or whereever you will be sitting), so in case he falls over, you can quickly rescue him. I would also keep a bottle of water next to him (room temp), so in case he loses some water, you can have some right there so the little guy doesn't suffocate. Maybe you could put him on a pillow or folded up blanket to reduce sloshing from road bumps etc?
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 4:03 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Wow I can't believe the responses on here. I moved with my beta and just put him in a tupperware bowl and put the top on and then put him in the car. I did take the top off when we stopped to let some air in. He did just fine.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 7:17 PM on May. 23, 2010