Do you think a garage sale all summer long would be a good idea?

I'm at home with the kids anyway. We have a huge double garage and we don't park the cars in there. I was thinking about setting it up like a thrift store and on days that I'm not busy with other things I could open it up for business. Put out a sign and balloons and pop an ad up on craigslist for that day. What do you think? Would you do it if you could?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on May. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• You have to be careful with that. I know in our city we have limits on how many garage sales and how long they can run a year. I know they can only be done for 3 days at a time and I think you can only do 3 a year. So you may want to check with your city. We also have to have a permit for them.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 1:41 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Check your local regulations; you may need to file a sales tax return and get a business license.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:43 PM on May. 23, 2010

• All summer long is no longer a garage sale but, as you said, a thrift shop, a business. Check your local ordinances.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 2:06 PM on May. 23, 2010

• We've tried yard sales a few days in a row, or several at the same spot, and the later it gets, and the more we had, the less people showed up. Even if it's okay with the city, people will stop coming once they realize there is nothing new added.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:21 PM on May. 23, 2010

• We have a couple in our town that does that all year. They even take "junk" from other people and sell that. It gives them a nice small extra income. If you're willing to take donations it will work better. Make sure everyone knows that if they have toys, clothing or other stuff to get rid of you'll come pick it up in exchange for the opportunity to sell it... That way you always have new stuff coming in and you'll get new people coming over and over to buy. But like the others said you will need to check with your local laws first.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:43 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Just don't put everything all for sale the same day, have some short 2 hour sales with just a few things. but each time put different items around. Some of this , some of that. remember you have to put all of it back and if it rains it's a real rush.
    Anonymous

• Anytime you make over $400 in a year you have to report it to the IRS. If your neighbors see you selling everyday or even several times a year they may report you for running a buisness.
    Anonymous

• I live in a tourist town and there are a few people who do that...they are listed as a flea market and they have their garage open friday until sunday. You would have to contact your City hall to ask about what you can do and cannot do. Some areas are strict and some are not.

personally what I would do is just have a garage sale once a month for 3 days..
    Anonymous

• Check your local laws. Sometimes you need a permit/license to sell on a steady basis like that. It won't do you much good to sell stuff then have to pay a fine that takes all your money!

Answer by admckenzie at 4:57 PM on May. 23, 2010

• The county I live in you have to get a permit to do a garage sale and the permit costs money.
    Anonymous