How can I maximize my milk so I can bf for a long time?

Some days me boobs dont feel full at all and others they are hard as a rock. I really cant afford formula, and dont qualify for any WIC help. Im just worried about failure, cuz with my first son, I couldnt bf long.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on May. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you continue to nurse on demand, and are changing 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period, plus seeing weight gain, you will know your supply is fine. You DO lose the full feeling after a while, once your supply regulates. The biggest thing you can do is to trust in your body's ability to nourish your child. I would suggest NOT worrying at all unless you not changing enough diapers and/or having a weight gain issue. I also agree that LLL is a great idea.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:46 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Your breasts stop feeling full after a while. It's normal for that feeling of engorgement to go away after you've been nursing a while.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 2:22 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Supply and demand. The more you nurse a baby the more milk you produce. Let the baby suck. I nursed all three kids for a year and worked full time. Trust me it isn't rocket science or I would have failed. If you want real advice on nursing go to a breast feeding meeting. Most local communities have La Leche Meetings. They give good practical advice for women with babies of all different needs. Good luck you can do it. Don't talk to the dr. about advice--talk to mothers who have nursed. There are groups on here too. Good luck honey!
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 2:25 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Stay hydrated. I agree with contacting the La Leche League.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:24 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump

Answer by rkoloms at 5:51 PM on May. 23, 2010

• nurse nurse nurse. it doesn't matter if they feel full or not they still have milk in them. just nurse. And get yourself to an LLL meeting
    Anonymous

• My breasts hardly ever feel full anymore. They only really fell full first thing in the morning and that's really only one, the one she didn't nurse from during the middle of the night. They stopped feeling full probably around the second or third month. She's 9 months now we're still going strong. Don't stress about it. As long as she's peeing/pooping like a champ, you're fine.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:13 PM on May. 23, 2010

• yup to all of the above, also take fenugreek seed!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 6:36 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Crush 2 tablespoons of fennel seeds and simmer them in a quart of barley water for 20 minutes. Let it cool and drink it throughout the day.

Barley water- boil 2oz of barley in six cupswater (distilled if possible) until there's about half the water-3 cups-left in the pot. Strain. If necessary add honey and lemon to taste.

You can also add lentil soup to your diet. PM me if you want that recipe. Too much info to cram into this area. LOL
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:56 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Just nurse. The full feeling is supposed to go away.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:12 AM on May. 24, 2010