My 5yr old won't stop whining or eating, any advice?

My son just turned 5 in March and for a while now we have been having some issues. Right now it's just me, him and my long term boyfriend of the last 4 years. My boyfriend is not daddy. They don't love each other, but get along well when I'm not around, doing their own thing. When I'm around if my son is awake he is eating & whining. Not to be mean, but I'm not exaggerating. He wont play alone, & doesnt want to play with his toys. He is upset about everything all the time & does things he knows hes not supposed to, refusing to listen to any rules. Then he cries. He gets upset because he's hungry, even if we JUST ate. He eats and drinks CONSTANTLY. He will eat till he says hes stuffed and as we're clearing plates he is asking about eating again. He is probably 4' and thin. The only time he is content is playing video games, which bothers me because I don't like them. Weve tried family games and outings, but he's still miserable

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on May. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• umm... I think you should take him to the Doctor about the eating thing. Him eating all the time and is still thin is not right. He may have a thyroid problem or a parasite. It's best to get him checked for those things first. If everything is okay on that, then he needs to see a therapist. Also, monitor the time that you BF and son spend alone, I'm not saying your BF is doing anything bad to your son... but it never hurts to check.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 3:47 PM on May. 23, 2010

• Just from your post it is a little alarming when you state they really don't love each other, but they get along(your son and your boyfriend). Even though your boyfriend may not be his father there should be love there especially if he has been with you for 4 years. You need to figure out what is bothering your son if you feel he is upset all the time. Some children do not like to play alone, so maybe take him to a place where he can enjoy some time with other children. Spend some special quality time together and maybe he will let out his feelings if something is bothering him. I would talk to his doctor about his acting hungry all the time and his constantly drinking. He is just too young to be feeling that down speak with his doctor of your concerns.
    Anonymous

• IGNORE the whining, NO response at all to it. You could say, I will talk to you when you use a big boy voice. As for the eating all the time, take him to the doctor to find out why he has to eat all the time. That is not normal or healthy. Drinking all the time is a sign of diabetes. If your son is an only child, he may not know how to play or he wants someone to play with and doesn't know how to ask. Ask HIM what he would like to do with you and BF. Take him to the park or play baseball, kickball, etc in your backyard. But I would definately take him to the doctor about the excessive eating and drinking.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:17 PM on May. 23, 2010